Perennial sailor stripes, we love you, but a well-timed hiatus may be in order. If the upcoming resort and spring collections are any indication, then it’s only a matter of time now before checkered prints are a mainstay in your season’s capsule wardrobe. Reminiscent of those Vans slip-ons you had on repeat all through junior high (and possibly beyond), ‘90s-esque checkered prints have received a major upgrade.Can we get an amen? Ahead, you’ll find 14 checkerboard statement pieces that bring the sporty graphic appeal (minus the sk8ter girl references) to get you WAY ahead of the sartorial curve.
1. ASOS Skinny Pants With Checkerboard Side Stripe ($38): If these checkerboard stripe skinnies don’t inspire you to get up and movin’, then we don’t know what will. High-performance trainers and a track jacket will be in order as you hit the ground running.
2. UNIF Apex Overalls ($158): Eccentric is your middle name, and so you obvs wouldn’t want to pass up the opportunity to sport these overalls around the block. Duh.
3. Vans Checkerboard Pool Slide ($30): While the prospect of pool parties probably seems like a far-off daydream at this point, you won’t regret snatching up these free-wheelin’ checkerboard slides for a bevy of upcoming spring functions. But then again, why wait to test-drive these babies? Take the Man Repeller approach by teaming them with chunky wool socks, cropped denim flares and a relaxed sweatshirt for a California-cool vibe.
4. Sam Edelman Colorblock Trapeze Dress ($109): Enter the throw-on-and-go statement piece that can double for both post-work networking functions and date night. Simply team it alongside a smart blazer and power pumps or dress it down with plain white tennies when kickin’ it cool. Your move.
5. Happy Socks Royal Enfield Flag Socks ($15): Allow these Royal Enfield flag-inspired socks to peek out from your trousers for a subtle attempt at incorporating checker prints into your daily style.
6. Club Exx Checkmate Coin Purse ($18): In search of the season’s piece de resistance? Right this way. This punkish checkered coin purse with a lightning bolt keychain may or may not serve as a secret weapon in disguise (literally). Clip it onto your car keys or your purse for a little extra swag.
7. Forever 21 Checkered Choker ($6): In an attempt to be current with the times (‘cuz we’re kewl like that), we recommend this checkered choker. Is it just us, or could we see our favorite reality TV villain, Corinne from this season’s installment of The Bachelor, rocking it alongside a deep-V lace-up top and skinny jeans?
8. House of Harlow 1960 X Revolve Joan Coat ($328): A well-calculated splurge is most certainly in order if you plan on ushering in slay-worthy style this winter. Introducing the vintage-inspired check print coat that puts the va-va in the voom. All that’s missing are some OTK suede stiletto boots and a leather mini for an upcoming girls’ night out, or frayed hem jeans and d’orsay flats for your morning commute.
9. Dorothy Perkins Charcoal Check Print Treggings ($44): Are they leggings? Are they trousers? Nobody knows! JK. These check print treggings look like trousers, but *feel* like leggings — AKA, basically every self-proclaimed lazy girl’s dream. Wear these bad boys to the office with a black turtleneck sweater, ankle strap steppers and a streamlined car coat for a nine-to-five look that doesn’t cramp your style one bit.
10. Modcloth Simply Snuggly Plaid Cardigan in Glacial ($60): This just in: You’re never going to want to leave the comfort of your bedroom if this huggable cardi has anything to say about it. In the dead of winter, the cobalt, white and red check print design will lend an instant pop of color to your wardrobe.
11. Mango Check Shorts ($50): Let the countdown until spring break commence with this skort that gives off major Serena Williams vibes. Pair alongside an Aran knit sweater and white kicks for an athleisure look.
12. Madewell Regents Checked Cotton Sweater ($90): Going hand-in-hand with checkerboard prints, windowpane grids are also game this season. You’ll reach for it when you’re too effin’ lazy to put on a boardroom-approved pantsuit (sorry, HR) and toss it on as a defense against the elements when the temps take a dip for the worst. Complete the look with black culottes, backless mules and a sleek bucket bag.
13. Danielle Guizio Godspeed Tracksuit ($120): Cool it on the NASCAR references — this tracksuit featuring a checkered stripe will make you look (and feel) like an HBIC. Maybe you’re hitting the race track or perhaps you’re swinging by the laundromat. Either way, we can’t think of a more appropriate uniform for running errands.
14. Vans Classic Checkered Slip On ($55): If you weren’t already a Vans girl, then you will be a fan soon enough. Our girl Avril popularized them in the early ‘00s; your ex-skateboarding wannabe BF wore them to the skate park and now you’re going to be reviving them from the dead. (Or did they ever actually go anywhere?)
Will you be test-driving checkerboard prints this winter? Follow us on Pinterest for more Instababe-approved style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.