It took a while, but spring finally decided to show up. With warmer temps outside, we’re mostly just excited for the season’s hottest new trends. Speaking of which, gingham is on the verge of having a major moment. Making an appearance in the Spring 2015 runway shows of Michael Kors, Oscar de la Renta and Diane von Furstenberg (just to name a few), this season’s gingham is a far cry from anything resembling an old picnic tablecloth. Without further ado, make way for 18 gingham prints that would win the sartorial approval of any self-proclaimed cool girl.
1. Dress of the Season ($298): Visions of picnics in the park and Sunday brunch on the terrace are already coming to mind. Mark our words, this is the dress that we’ll be wearing non-stop through spring and beyond.
2. Pencil Skirt With a Slit ($33): If you only invest in one gingham-printed clothing item all season, then this should definitely be it. From the daring slit to the oversized check print, this skirt has serious runway appeal.
3. Chic Gingham Trousers ($70): Hello, work-appropriate gingham trousers that will inevitably be worn more than we care to admit. From pairing them with a stylish sweatshirt to a peplum top, these pants are dynamite.
4. Gingham Check Shirt ($40): Pssst! No more secretly borrowing your brother or SO’s button-downs — you can finally have one of your own. For effortless styling on the go, allow this gingham shirt to become your new go-to.
5. Gingham Shirtdress ($22): Cinch. That. Waist. There’s nothing that we love more than an ultra-feminine front-tie dress. Just add wedges for a spring-y look.
6. Ladylike Gingham Midi Skirt ($79): Gingham midi skirts are officially on our radar. This pale blue one has us especially wanting to don some sparkly red flats, just like Dorothy!
7. Check Print Bermudas ($50): These would be the perfect companion to your Birkenstock slides. Slip on a casual sweatshirt or crop top and you’ll be in business.
8. Boyfriend Style Button Down ($168): It’s not an overstatement when we say that we love EVERYTHING about this button down. Besides the effortless fit, we’re dying over those plaid cuffs.
9. Springtime Gingham ($29): Before you know it, it’ll be time to start breaking out the sleeveless blouses. For candidate número uno, we highly recommend this pretty pale blue gingham number. P.S. For maximum perfection, don’t hesitate to pull out a dainty white skirt.
10. Quintessential Gingham Check Dress ($50): For this gingham frock with a laid-back silhouette, simply add a statement necklace or punchy clutch for a standout look.
11. Gingham Shirt Dress ($398): While this shirt dress may be a bit on the pricey side, it is by DVF, the queen of wrap dresses. The perfectly conservative length and fit make this an investment piece that will stand the test of time.
12. Matchy-Matchy ($45): When you find the perfect gingham blouse, you know that it’s a keeper. If you’re feeling daring, try a matching gingham skirt or pair of shorts for a cute combo.
13. The Boxy Tee ($32): What’s not to love about an all-around versatile boxy tee? Be it jeans or a fancy skirt, this gingham top is guaranteed to elevate any look.
14. Retro Shirt Dress ($60): What’s one thing that every girl needs to have in her own arsenal? Why, that would be a gingham-print shirt dress, of course. To achieve a no-nonsense look, a cool pair of sneakers and a practical bucket bag will seal the deal.
15. Gingham Flowy Dress ($148): To say that this easy-breezy dress is divine would be an understatement. The flowy material and crisscross back has us all wishing for an occasion just so that we have an excuse to wear it.
16. Gingham Box Pleat Mini Skirt ($70): This is the gingham skirt that needed to be in your closet… yesterday. The full skirt silhouette makes it ultra versatile, so much so that you’ll never want to take it off.
17. Gingham Shorts ($79): These airy gingham shorts give us hope that warmer temps are on their way. Whether you pair them with a white tee or opt for some major pattern play on top, there’s no doubt that this is a #winning look.
Do you have major gingham envy yet? Tell us in the comments below how you plan on incorporating gingham into your spring uniform!
(Photos via Victor Virgile/Getty)