Dialing it down simply isn’t an option this fall — at least not on our watch. Before you reach for yet another fall layering piece (been there, done that), why not usher in the drama with an extra snazzy topper, a slinky velvet slip dress or a pair of the season’s most coveted ankle boots? Partial to color? Head-to-toe yellow and Glossier pink are kind of a big deal. Besides an excuse to play dress up, you’ll never have to worry about having another dull moment at the office again. Scroll down for 30 game-changing ways to rock a “more is more” aesthetic even when you’re a minimalist at heart. Remember, personal expression is the one thing that never goes out of style.
1. Zara Chino Trousers ($50): Corporate schmorporate, we always say. If you want to rock eye-catching lemon yellow trousers to the workplace, don’t let HR stand in your way. Take style cues from Jenna Lyons by coupling these bad boys alongside a slouchy silk button-down, a hot pink blazer and kicky bejeweled loafers. Stylish specs and mega statement earrings are strongly encouraged.
2. Free People Florence Cable Pullover ($400): Orange you ready to try on a fluorescent sweater with this much shock value? Go grunge by teaming it with combat boots and ripped jeans, or get your Halloween on a smidge early by styling it with a black pleated mini and lace-up flats. Either way, the slouchy silhouette is guaranteed to give you that comfy-cozy feeling.
3. Ban.do Bestie Pin ($8): Personalization is key this season, especially when it comes to adding instant flair to the lapel of an acid wash denim jacket, a tote or even a basic layering sweatshirt (‘cause why not go pin-crazy?). We call dibs on ban.do’s BFF emoji pin for all the #girlboss vibes. *Adds all to cart.*
4. Rachel Comey Dahl Open Toe Mule ($449): These ugly-pretty open-toe mules are practically a work of art — team ‘em with culottes and an architectural top for an avant-garde boardroom getup that demands attention. The multi-hued embroidered wool is made for color enthusiasts who swear off boring neutrals during the colder months.
5. Kate Spade Mix It Up Strap Tassel Pack ($128): It’s all about that next-level bag swag! Can you count the ways to style this interchangeable strap that’s leopard on one side and powder blue on the other? Infinite. Proceed to add major oomph to your collection of punchy-hued cross-body bags with a set of these playful tassels that were made for busy girls.
6. Nasty Gal Invasion of the Body Patchers Moto Jacket ($128): Just when you thought your tough-girl moto jacket was the be-all-end-all topper, we introduce you to a biker jacket with *major* don’t-mess-around appeal. Not only do the sequin patches bring the ‘90s flair, but you’ll feel like a total boss babe commuting to work.
7. J.Crew Mary Jane Pumps in Colorblock Satin ($378): Don’t look at the price, but these fancy Mary Jane pumps are calling your name. (Factor in the cost per wear and we promise they’ll pay for themselves.) The blue, red and green color-block design will serve as the exclamation point to every impeccably styled ensemble, whether you’re slaying in a black jumpsuit or keeping things on the DL with a bodysuit and mom jeans.
8. Michaela Buerger Crazy Fruit Jeans ($380): How many times have you wished you could add some fruity flair to your #OOTD? Be honest. These whimsical fruit appliqué cropped jeans make a serious case for dressing down — just add a white crewneck tee and platform tennies FTW.
9. Topshop Moto Holographic Silver Straight Leg Jeans ($110): Let’s hear it for those disco glam days! Put on your dancin’ shoes, ‘cause these holographic jeans are more than ready for their closeup. Perfect for on- and off-the-clock dressing, they’ll give you an excuse to channel your inner RiRi and pile on the swagger even when it’s just a mundane Monday.
10. Express One Eleven Lace Up Plunge Bodysuit ($40): Seductive much? Be prepared to put the va-va in the voom with this neck-plunging bodysuit that leaves just the right amount to the imagination. Dress it down with high-waisted skinnies and an off-duty bomber or hit the town with a twirly-worthy leather skirt and lace-up ghillies.
11. ASOS Coat in Wool Blend With Faux Fur Leopard Pockets ($121): You had us at the faux fur leopard print pockets (duh). This blush pink wool coat will make you feel glam even in plain ol’ jeans and sneaks. Dress it up with a sequined dress during formal season or gear up for a GNO by slipping on a leather mini and cream-colored mock neck sweater.
12. Cheap Monday Sound Dress in Silver ($80): This season, we’re all about rocking metallics during the daytime — and for good reason. Introducing the Tin Man-inspired silver dress that will put your LBD to shame. Day or night, work or play, this stunner deserves to be teamed with a set of red sunnies and some modern-day go-go boots for a traffic-stopping look.
13. J Brand Alana High Rise Crop Jeans ($198): As it turns out, a little extra “rawr” is exactly what the doctor ordered when puffer vests, flannel shirts and duck boots feel overly predictable. These fierce leopard print skinny jeans are begging to be paired with a trusty fisherman sweater and backless loafers for a look that’s fall AF. (Although, you could totally style them with a vintage band tee and a leather jacket for a rock concert.)
14. Forever 21 Monster Face Mini Backpack ($25): When your mini backpack has a mind of its own, this is the way chic result. Be it a night on the town or weekend shenanigans with your neighborhood #girlgang, this monster face bag with fuzzy brows will serve as instant street style bait. Not only will it allow you to roam around hands-free, but it’s roomy enough to tote all the essentials (and then some).
15. Scotch & Soda Lurex Culottes ($119): HR ain’t got nothing on you! These free-wheelin’ metallic culottes are made for fellow boss ladies who would rather wear a paper bag than a stuffy pant suit. Team these shimmery bottoms with a crisp white button-down and power pumps for a getup that will take you from back-to-back-to-back meetings to post-work drinks.
16. Lost Ink Smart Coat With Faux Fur Collar in Leopard Print ($177): Take a walk on the wild side with this eccentric leopard print topper, complete with a Cruella de Vil-style faux fur collar, that can stand on its own. Having a frumpy day? Toss this wardrobe workhorse on and you’ll instantly feel 10 times more pulled together. #Winning
17. Free People Revolver Wrap Dress ($360): Introducing the hot pink showstopper that Malibu Barbie would totes approve of. Be it a bachelorette party or a fall gala, a neck-plunging wrap dress with this much sass will straight-up slay. An edgy ear cuff and a body chain are non-negotiable as you embrace a rocker ‘tude.
18. Scotch & Soda Silk Bow Neck Blouse ($225): Dare to be different with this colorful striped bow-neck blouse that will lend a rocker-meets-boho vibe to a denim button-front skirt and throwback clogs. Can you say perfect fall date #OOTD for a romantic stroll through the park? Transition it for your nine-to-five by tossing it on with a black pencil skirt, power pumps and a ladylike satchel.
19. Silence + Noise Paige Plaid Midi Slip Dress ($69): The ‘90s are back, baby! Going hand-in-hand with your prized Doc Martens, knit beanies, rad hoops and distressed denim vests, this punkish plaid slip dress belongs in your life STAT — if not to perfect your roll-out-of-bed-and-go routine (just slip this bad boy over a white tee and toss on a leather moto jacket), then to ditch your girl-next-door image. A deep red pout and dramatic smokey eyes will put your look over the top.
20. Adam J. Kurtz Please Stop Patch ($8): Enter the style hack that will save you beaucoup bucks this fall. Instead of running out to invest in the next big thang (cough, cough, embroidered denim), add some instant swag to your beloved vintage denim jacket a la this iron-on patch with a not-so-subtle message.
21. I Love Friday Frill Hem Long Sleeve Top Co-Ord ($65) + Cropped Trousers With Ruffle Hem Co-Ord ($77): Cue the frills with this ruffled co-ord that’s OTT in the best possible way. Never fussy — only frilly — this dusty pink set will not only pass the HR test with flying colors, but it’s low-key enough for a lazy Sunday spent curled up on the couch binge-watching Netflix. Retro kicks and hoop earrings are obligatory for a hip athleisure look.
22. Forever 21 Mission Patched Sweater Dress ($30): Mission accomplished: We’ve uncovered an after hours-ready number that won’t sacrifice comfort or style. An assortment of cool girl-approved patches lends instant panache to an otherwise predictable sweater dress. Throw in an of-the-moment choker, fishnet tights and suede heels for a look that will get you noticed on the streets.
23. I Love Friday Shirt With Tassel Detail ($73): This is NOT your everyday dress shirt. Slip this tassel-happy button-down on alongside black trousers for Casual Fridays when you just can’t deal — but desperately need an excuse to celebrate.
24. Rebecca Minkoff Bojana Bootie ($295): Run, don’t walk, to snag a pair of these swoon-inducing embroidered ankle booties that every It-blogger on the block will be sporting this fall. We can’t decide what we love more: the streamlined silhouette or the Southwestern needlework embroidery. Wear ‘em now with denim cutoffs and a longline jacket for some post-festival season flair, or take it there with a velvet bell sleeve dress for a fall fête.
25. Kate Spade Winking Beanie ($58): We hate to be the bearer of bad news, but frightful weather will be here soon enough. Brave a trip to the pumpkin patch with this charming winking eye beanie that’s equal parts witty and cute. It’ll keep your ears insanely cozy — even when the temps are borderline freezing.
26. New Revival Green Ruffled Bell Sleeve Dress ($122): Meet the emerald green babydoll dress that’ll serve double-duty for every fall ritual on your iCal. Take note: It’s the voluminous bell sleeves that bring the drama and make you stand out from the crowd. The effortless style calls for a felt fedora and OTK boots for an unmistakably boho look.
27. Zara Printed Backpack ($50): Yes, that is a pop art-inspired backpack for grown-ups who aren’t quite ready to adult. Whip this statement-making bag out in the boardroom, and proceed to rack up the compliments as your coworkers step back in admiration. Pro tip: Sling this versatile backpack over one shoulder with a fly bomber, leather joggers and Yeezys in tow for an athleisure look that breaks all the rules.
28. Zara Looney Tunes Denim Jacket ($100): This Loony Tunes embroidered denim jacket sure is somethin’ fierce. Put a stop to the whole normcore trend in one swift move by styling this novelty topper with a sheer tulle dress, velvet ankle booties and messy bed head for a look that’s man-repelling in its own right. Girl, you do you!
29. LOÉIL Lowell Velvet Dress ($158): Obsessed would be an understatement. This plush velvet slip dress is not for the overly modest. Between the self-tie neckline and the lavish shade of pink, it won’t be long before you’re bringing sexy back.
30. Free People Wrap Me Up Faux Fur Jacket ($348): Paris Hilton called — she wants her glam faux fur jacket back. For a look that’s reminiscent of the early ‘00s, but also so RN, style this diva-ready coat with a lace-up body-suit, leather pants and pointed-toe ankle booties. It’s safe to say there’ll never be a dull moment with this hero piece on standby.
Which of these statement pieces will you be investing in this fall? Follow us on Pinterest for more fall style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.