We can all agree that the point of a vacation is to explore, enjoy plenty of R&R and step out of your daily routine. But if you daydream about achieving vacation bliss without airport security or highway traffic, a staycation is just the ticket. We’re not talking about the kind of staycation where you Netflix binge all day (although there is a time and place for that), we’re talking about an experience that will make you look at your city in a whole new light. We’re sharing 10 tips and tricks to create a staycation that will rival any getaway.
1. Get a Hotel: There is no way to make a staycation feel like the real deal if you’re ending up back at home every night. Checking into a local hotel is the perfect way to escape into vacation mode. Did we mention room service? That’s pretty much a given. (via JDV Hotels)
2. Play Photographer: Instagram and vacations go together like PB&J, but there is no reason you can’t go Instagram-crazy in your own city. Explore new areas and take photos from every angle. Afterwards turn the pics into a fun DIY project that will serve as a love note to your city. (via Artifact Uprising)
3. Act Like a Tourist: It might sound cheesy, but stick with us. Plenty of cities offer informational tours that showcase the history, architecture and even hidden food scenes within a city. After all, you can learn something new everyday. (via Brit + Co)
5. Don’t Wait in Lines: The best part of a staycation is that you already know about the best places to eat that aren’t always jam-packed. If you do want to try to attempt a foodie hotspot, just be sure to go there at non-peak hours. (via @bangbangpie)
6. Try a New Restaurant: We all have that running list of restaurants that we plan on trying but never actually get to. Use a staycation as a chance to cross a few things off of your personal foodie bucket list. (via SF Girl By Bay)
7. Take a Class: Learn how to whip up a new meal or try a new workout style; you might just discover a new interest that will last beyond the staycation. (via ClassPass)
9. Explore New Coffee Shops: We know how the morning routine usually goes — you’re dazed, grab your regular coffee and sprint to get to work. Take this opportunity to explore cozy coffee shops you can actually savor a cup of joe in. (via Spotted SF)
10. Enjoy a Spa Day: A vacation does call for a hefty dose of R&R, so DIY yourself a spa day and get to pampering. (via Brit + Co)
How do you make the most of a staycation? Tell us in the comments!