Forget the cutout — yes, even Rooney Mara’s diamond stomach cutout. While stars are still baring some serious skin on tonight’s red carpet, the takeover trend of the evening is aimed at a slightly higher body part: the shoulders. Hollywood is ditching the straps on this year’s red carpet in favor of a classically sexy strapless neckline. While it’s not exactly a groundbreaking style, the wares were far from boring, with no two ladies wearing the look quite the same way. From the subtle ruching of Isla Fisher’s neckline to the draped-to-train, off-the-shoulder sleeves on Mindy Kaling’s modest Elizabeth Kennedy gown, each starlet made the craze her own. Read on to pick a favorite!
1. Alicia Vikander: It’s no surprise Oscar winner Alicia Vikander looks absolutely stun-ing in her strapless Louis Vuitton princess gown (comparisons to Disney’s Belle are swirling) — it was, after all, custom made for her. With ornate silver beading and a hi-lo hem, the main focus here remains on Alicia’s beautifully bare shoulders. (Photo via Ethan Miller/Getty)
2. Sofia Vergara: Marchesa was the mastermind behind Sofia’s strapless navy frock, and its wraparound bodice and intricate beading at the bust only serve to highlight Sofia’s slender waist. (Photo via Kevork Djansezian/Getty)
3. Priyanka Chopra: Quantico star and presenter Priyanka Chopra flashed just a hint of leg in her sheer Zuhair Murad gown, keeping most of the attention on the gown’s lovely neckline. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
4. Andra Day: Like Alicia, singer Andra Day glows in a soft yellow strapless piece with a sloping neckline. One half sleeve adds an element of interest to this SAFiYAA dress. (Photo by Jason Merritt/Getty)
5. Mindy Kaling: Mindy Kaling stands out from the strapless pack in this off-the-shoulder Elizabeth Kennedy number. With half-sleeves that tie in back to become a draped train, this piece is just as appealing coming as it is going. (Photo by Ethan Miller/Getty)
6. Naomi Watts: Naomi Watts goes for a classic strapless column silhouette, keeping the focus on her toned arms and choker-style bling. (Photo by Jason Merritt/Getty)
7. Jennifer Jason Leigh: The Hateful Eight Oscar nom Jennifer Jason Leigh puts her own twist on the evening’s trending neckline with the addition of an architectural, floral element. (Photo by Jason Merritt/Getty)
8. Isla Fisher: The delicate ruching of Isla Fisher’s dropped shoulders sets the star’s dress apart from the rest on the red carpet, giving us major bridal vibes. (Photo by Jason Merritt/Getty)
9. Jennifer Garner: Half-sequins, half-satin, the top of Jennifer Garner’s sweetheart-esque, half-sleeve neckline is one part class and one part pizazz. (Photo by Jason Merritt/Getty)
10. Lady Gaga: Queen Gaga herself jumps on the strapless train, invoking all the old Hollywood glamour she can muster in this sleeveless Brandon Maxwell pantsuit. Covered up with a curtain-style bodice, Gaga keeps it mostly covered, flashing only sensual shoulders. (Photo by Jason Merritt/Getty)
11. Reese Witherspoon: Reese beams in this violet corset-style bodice with a flared strapless bust and a peekaboo bra. (Photo by Jason Merritt/Getty)
12. Tina Fey: Funny woman Tina Fey punches up her violet wraparound bustline with a bit of purple sparkle — lovely and love the twinning look with Reese! (Photo by Jason Merritt/Getty)
13. Kate Winslet: Best Actress in a Supporting Role nominee Kate, seen here with fellow Oscars nominee Leo (agh!) kept things simple in a black lamé strapless gown from Ralph Lauren. (Photo by Jason Merritt/Getty)
Which style is your favorite? Tweet us @britandco and let us know!