Summer isn’t over yet, but it’s never too early to start planning next season’s slew of RN ensembles (staying ahead of the style curve is just what you do.) Saying sayonara to your favorite staple pieces — denim shorts, cute clogs and halter tops — is downright depressing, but don’t panic. We’ve scouted 16 summer style essentials that will pair perfectly with the duds you’re rocking now and dominate the #OOTD scene later when teamed with all your fresh fall finds.
1. Zara Masculine Coat ($130): A menswear-inspired coat is always a good idea — period. Keep it on call for summer nights when the temps take a dramatic dip, then make it a regular in your post-Labor Day lineup along with pointed-toe loafers, oversized scarves and structured culottes.
2. ASOS Montana Pointed Flat Mules ($30): Fashion’s It crowd has dubbed loafers a foolproof component of summer dressing, and trust us — they won’t be going anywhere anytime soon. Once the foliage starts to fall, team these quicksilver stunners with tailored trousers, mock neck tunics and wool fedoras for a flawless autumnal ensemble worthy of your Insta feed.
3. H&M Patterned Bodysuit ($40): Bodysuits dominated the style scene this summer, and they’ll be sticking around for fall too. Continue to whip them out with wild abandon while the warm weather lasts (tucked into cropped jeans and flowy maxi skirts), then consider them an essential layering component to be paired with everything from oversized blazers to wide-leg trousers next season.
4. Pixie Market Blue Tie Back Shirt ($99): Who says button-downs have to be boring? Fight back against the mid-week wardrobe blahs by busting out this open-backed beauty with culottes and statement sandals for drinks on the terrace, or — gasp — wear it with a high-waisted pencil skirt and platform loafers for an upgraded office ensemble.
5. ASOS Floral Culottes With Straps ($57): Culottes, how do we love thee? Let us count the ways. Fit for barbecues and al fresco dinner parties, these breezy floral culottes are guaranteed to make jaws drop all season long. When summer getaways and stints at the beach seem like a distant dream, they’ll keep bringing the good vibes, whether you style them with a simple long-sleeve tee or a flirty high-neck blouse.
6. Zara Faux Leather Dress ($50): With a dress this DDG in your arsenal, you’ll be looking for any opportunity to pull it out. Details like tri-tonal faux leather panels and a slip-inspired silhouette are straight-up stunning, and provide a surefire way to spice up your on- and off-duty repertoire. Team it with a classic button-down, minimalist drop earrings and ankle boots for the office, then step it up a notch for after-hours shenanigans wearing it solo with embellished heels and a box clutch.
7. Topshop Jagga Round Heel Mid Shoes ($80): These irresistible jacquard heels are what your summer and fall capsule wardrobes are missing. The feminine styling and elegant old world print will look ah-mazing with minimalist midi dresses and everyday denim both now and later.
8. Just Female Fer Suede Skirt ($188): Beyond being a festival essential, a suede skirt is the cornerstone of endless on-point autumnal ensembles. Admit it — the image of this A-line stunner, a folksy floral blouse and block heel ankle boots has you wishing you could skip the rest of summer and head straight into fall.
9. Zara Patch Jacket ($150): Be it a hot summer night or a breezy fall day, this bomb tweed jacket is the ultimate outer layer. Rock it by day with high-waisted jeans, a silk cami and pointed-toe loafers, or pop it over a slinky slip dress and sandals for a night out on the town.
10. Reclaimed Vintage Pajama Shirt in Floral Print ($65): While this effortless pajama top would look killer now with a lace-up suede skirt or zip-front denim culottes, its snuggly aesthetic is the real draw here. When days are getting shorter and the snooze button is getting harder and harder to resist, consider this floral topper your new BFF. Marrying comfort and cool factor, it’s the ultimate lazy girl essential. Just add boyfriend jeans, metallic loafers and a structured trench for a fuss-free look that can be styled on the fly.
11. Mango Side Slit Dress ($40): New season, new LBD. An understated midi dress is a foolproof option whether you’re strolling along the beach or snuggling up by the fire, which may or may not be a pretty good argument for finally culling that collection of black dresses you’ve amassed over the years. Just sayin’.
12. Endless Rose Cold Shoulder Embroidered Top ($78): The off-the-shoulder fun doesn’t stop after Labor Day. Keep the dream alive straight through fall with long-sleeve interpretations of your favorite flirty tops. This sheer number is GNO-approved, especially when worn with a bold red lip and glitzy drop earrings.
13. Zara Metallic Fine Pleated Skirt ($70): Obsessed is the only word that can describe how we feel about this glam gold skirt. Shine on this summer by giving silk camis and printed halter tops the Midas touch for a bridal shower or Sunday morning brunch. When gray fall days roll in, you’ll be well equipped to battle the blahs with this show-stopping piece that makes bad days impossible.
14. New Look Plus Stripe High Neck Ribbed Top ($17): Sleeveless mock neck tops are kind of the best things going. They make scandalous summer pieces feel fit for even the most conservative settings in two seconds flat, and add an extra layer of warmth when the mercury takes a dive. Wear it now with jacquard high-waisted shorts and leather pool slides, then proceed to style with long-sleeve blouses and embellished jackets when the frost starts to set in.
15. Madewell Denim Courier Shirt Dress ($98): A shirt dress is a staple for every season. Rock it right now with Birks and a bandana wrapped around the neck for outdoor concerts and running errands, then pair it with leggings and oversized sweaters come fall for a crazy cozy getup you won’t want to take off.
16. Pixie Market Dark Chambray Cut Out Shoulder Top ($53): ICYMI: Cold-shoulder tops are a thing, and if you haven’t added one to your summer lineup, best be adding one to the top of your fall must-have list. Double up on denim by wearing it with a white button-front skirt now, then give it a touch of French girl flair for fall with a wrap skirt, pumps and don’t-care hair.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.