We hate to be the bearers of bad news, but it’s almost time to pack away your summer wardrobe. While you had a good run with those flirty dresses and short shorts, fall — AKA sweater weather — is on its way here. And since we know you’re going through the mourning process of saying goodbye to your breezy summer oufits, we’ve compiled an easy-to-shop list of fall duds to swap for your summer clothes.
1. Printed Shorts for Printed Cropped Pants: Banana Republic Avery-Fit Print Crop Pants ($98): Printed shorts are so fun to wear, and so is their fall sibling, the cropped printed pant. While they look really hard to pull off because of their busy pattern, you can just rock ’em like you would a pair of black slacks and you’re golden. Throw on a t-shirt, blazer and loafers for casual day at the office or pull out some colors from the pattern and wear mustard suede pumps and a navy sweater.
2. Denim Overall Shorts for Denim Dress: MICHAEL Michael Kors Chambray Shirt Dress ($140): We know you love your denim overall shorts, but we promise this chambray dress is just as fun to wear. Throw it on and you’re good to go for any occasion. Feeling fancy? Get rid of the denim belt and add a tan leather one with matching boots.
3. Quirky Sandals for Quirky Sneakers: New Balance 574 Summit ($80): Festival sandals feel like Coachella on your feet, but the fun doesn’t have to stop because of cooler temps. These colorful New Balance kicks will keep your feet looking stylish while keeping your toes warm all day long.
4. Slip-on Sneaker for Classic White Sneaker: adidas Originals Stan Smith Sneaker ($75): Your trusty slip-on sneakers need to go bye-bye. Welcome these timeless Stan Smiths — seriously, they’ve been around since 1971 — into your rotation. The athleisure trend means they’re HR-approved, but the shoes have a long history, and the sneakerhead seal of approval means they’re also great for fall brunch.
5. Slip-on Dress for Maxi Peasant Dress: Free People Jessie Maxi Dress ($198): Summer style can be so simple; slip on a dress and some sandals and you’re ready to go. This peasant dress is another one-and-done piece. No need to coordinate separates — just put on this boho frock and head out on the town.
6. Summer Straw Hat for Felt Hat: Club Monaco Octavya Felt Hat ($99): In the summer, straw hats are for keeping the sun out of your eyes. Come fall, it’s all about looking good. Throw on this hat for instant, Insta-worthy style, then watch the likes roll in. You can hide your messy hair and only you and your cat will know.
7. Cutoff Denim Shorts for Distressed Jeans: Billabong New Boy Denim ($70): We know, we know — your cutoff denim shorts are perfectly worn in, and so comfy. They look great with everything and they’ve become a wardrobe staple. We promise these boyfriend jeans will seamlessly take their place.
8. Romper for Jumpsuit: Le Château Challis Button-Front Slim Leg Jumpsuit ($100): Having clothes in your wardrobe that require little to no styling makes getting out of the door on time a breeze. This jumpsuit will be all that you need and more come autumn. Throw on one of your summer body chains to make this jumpsuit go from nine-to-five to five-to… whenever.
9. Bright Micro Mini Bag for Jewel-Toned Satchel: Matt & Nat Clarke Mini ($125): Fall is all about those jewel tones. Trade your teeny tiny bag for this Matt & Nat crossbody. It’ll fit more of your stuff, and it’ll match with a darker, richer color palette.
10. Denim Jacket for Bomber Jacket: Roots Cabin Sorority Jacket ($348): Your denim jacket won’t mind if you put it in storage for this collegiate jacket. It might actually be a little jealous, because, let’s be honest — this jacket is cool AF. Wear it with a heather gray beanie and head out into the crisp air.
Need more fall fashion inspo? Follow us on Pinterest for more of our outfit pics!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.