Slaw is the unsung hero of the cookout world. With all of the pasta salads, dips, and deviled eggs gracing the buffet line, you may have thought that it would be easy to bypass a bowl of raw cabbage and mayonnaise. Thankfully, coleslaw has come a long way since the questionable dish of your childhood, and it should have a home front and center at your barbecue. These days, they’re even usually filled will tons of fresh veggies, nuts, seeds, and herbs, and are just as tasty on their own or as a burger or hot dog topping. Well, what are you waiting for? Keep reading for 12 summer slaw recipes that you can bring to *any* potluck cookout.
1. Crunchy Asian Slaw Recipe With Peanut Dressing: Without bagged broccoli slaw, this recipe would take a lot longer than it does. The good news is that there’s minimal chopping involved and the sweet and spicy peanut dressing will knock everyone’s socks off. (via A Spicy Perspective)
2. Tropical Chicken Slaw Salad: This tropical salad is filled with the usual suspects, as well as pineapple, chicken, and almonds. If you want to make your slaw more filling, adding a little protein in with the veggies is always a good idea. (via Yellow Bliss Road)
3. Dill Pickle Slaw: What could be better for a burger or hot dog than a dill pickle slaw? It has the same flavors as dill pickle relish, but with an added crunch from classic coleslaw mix. (via Buns in My Oven)
4. Red Cabbage Mango Pineapple Slaw: When you feel like being transported to the Caribbean islands (AKA every day, amirite?), this tropical slaw will do the trick. One bite full of mango, pineapple, jalapeño, and cilantro and you’ll practically hear the beat of the steel drums. (via Diary of an Ex-Sloth)
5. Apple and Poppy Seed Coleslaw: The freshness and tang of this green apple slaw are unmatched. Between the lemon poppy seed dressing and the shredded Granny Smith, each forkful will be a pleasant shock to your taste buds. (via Damn Delicious)
6. Kale Slaw: This healthy alternative to traditional coleslaw is as beautiful to look at as it’s delectable to eat. To make, simply combine chopped kale, shredded purple cabbage, and carrots, and toss with a homemade poppy seed dressing. (via Life, Love, and Good Food)
8. Pineapple Slaw: A quick five-minute dash into the grocery store and 10 minutes of chopping will get you a summery slaw with a fruity edge. Serve alongside grilled tilapia or flank steak for a complete vacation-worthy meal. (via Cooking in Stilettos)
9. Rainbow Edamame Slaw: When you taste this rainbow, you’ll be able to savor the flavors of six nourishing veggies. A slaw like this one will leave you feeling light and refreshed instead of sluggish and tired. (via Flying on Jess Fuel)
10. Simple Seedy Slaw: This gluten-free and vegan slaw is perfect for serving a crowd of guests whose diets you’re unfamiliar with. Plus, you can skip the refrigerator because there’s no mayo to worry about. (via Cookie and Kate)
11. Summer Veggie Slaw: If you have a summer garden, then you know that recipes that use up yellow squash, zucchini, and corn are very necessary. Use up your overabundance with ease by whipping up this fresh and crisp veggie slaw ASAP. (via Proud Italian Cook)
12. Spicy Sriracha Broccoli Slaw: It’s never too hot outside for a little Sriracha. Pair it with lime juice, soy sauce, olive oil, and rice vinegar to create a zesty dressing for this crisp broccoli slaw. (via Simply Whisked)
Follow along on Pinterest for more summer-friendly recipe ideas!