We all know how important it is to keep slathering on that SPF during our outdoor summer activities, nay, all year long for that matter. But sometimes even the most cautious sunbathers can forget to reapply after a few hours. And while you may be lucky enough to avoid a painful sunburn, spending lots of time in the sun will undoubtedly leave your skin feeling damaged and dry. If you plan on visiting the beach or throwing a few pool parties, be sure to keep one (or more!) of these 10 DIY skin soothing treatments on hand to keep your skin feeling soft all summer long.
1. Whipped Coconut Oil Cooling Lotion: Just three ingredients — coconut oil, aloe gel and a few drops of your favorite essential oils — and you’re on your way to soothing and softening your skin. This lotion will also provide relief for bug bites, poison ivy and hives, so be sure to stash some in the cooler on your next camping trip. (via Hip2Save)
3. Rosemary, Peppermint and Lavender Body Butter: Shea butter is incredibly hydrating, so it’s good for a sunburn as it will sooth and cool sun-damaged skin. The combination of rosemary, peppermint and lavender is a scent that is fresh and gorgeous without being too overpowering. (via AO.com)
4. Sugar Cookie Body Butter: If you’re prone to dry skin during these summer months, then you’re going to want to keep this DIY on hand. With coconut oil, almond oil and raw shea butter, this recipe will keep your skin super moisturized and have it smelling good enough to eat. (via Happiness Is Homemade)
5. Cinnamon Vanilla Whipped Body Butter: Cinnamon is a natural aide in keeping flakey skin at bay, so you may want to use this one if your sunburn starts to peel. Mixed with vanilla, shea butter and coconut oil, it will leave you feeling smooth and smelling sweet. (via A Cultivated Nest)
6. Whipped Aloe Vera Butter: Aloe vera is a go-to for keeping your skin moisturized and nourished, especially when you’re dealing with a sunburn. Stash a jar of this in your fridge to have on hand for those summer days when you’ve accidentally fallen asleep laying out by the pool. (via Rural Spin)
7. Grapefruit and Lavender Body Butter: Grapefruit helps to brighten and refresh your skin, while lavender helps to keep it soothed. Combined, these two have a refreshing scent that is equally invigorating and soothing. You’re going to want to use this well after your burn heals. (via Lia Griffith)
8. Burn Salve: Use apple cider vinegar to help to keep your burn clean and restore the vitamins, minerals and natural pH balance of your skin. Then, apply this salve of honey and aloe vera to add moisture back to your burned skin. (Little House Living)
9. DIY Face Mist for Dry Skin: Vitamin E and essential oils will help to replenish and lock in moisture to your skin after a long day in the sun. Unlike a lotion or body butter, this can easily be applied over your makeup, so it’s perfect for those who are trying to hide and heal their sunburn for that Monday morning meeting. (via The Chic Site)
10. Cooling Cucumber Lotion for Sunburnt Skin: This refreshing lotion combines coconut milk, aloe vera juice and the juice from a cucumber. You can spray it on or apply to irritated areas with a wet wash rag. Although, we’re wondering if we’d be going overboard by taking a bath in it…. (via Styleoholic)
What are some of your favorite DIY sunburn relief tricks? Let us know in the comments!
Note: These DIYs are intended to aid in cooling and moisturizing your skin after a long day in the sun. Always consult with your doctor first if you suffer a severe burn, as it may require medical attention.