With the sun at its highest height, some of you are probably dead set on diving into the surf scene. The waves are calling your name, and you’re about to get one incredible workout. (Hello, killer abs and arms!) Besides arming yourself with a good (and patient) surf instructor, here are 15 essentials you can count on to make you look like a pro surfer.
1. Pistache Custom Painted Surfboard ($2,500): What better way to impress local surfers than with a bad-ass custom print board? If the whopping price tag is out of your reach, grab a less pricey foam board like this one.
2. Cynthia Rowley Color Block Swimsuit ($210): A quick scan over the beach is evidence enough that there’s a major shortage in the cute wetsuit department. This bright-hued, retro-inspired suit is ultra chic and offers plenty of protection. Plus, it’s sure to distract from our awful balance! If you’re more of a rash-guard lady, here are a few we picked just for you.
3. Mara Hoffman Divine Cutout Swimsuit ($246): If there’s one tip we can share (from first-hand experience) it’s to avoid strapless bikinis at all costs. These babies will roll down, bunch up and make it super awkward when you’re coming out of the waves. Our pick? Stick with an easy-to-wear one-piece in a cheerful print that you can layer with some shorts for a quick post-beach outfit.
4. Roxy Gamechanger Walkers ($25): If your local surf spot is a little on the rough side, opt for some water booties to avoid any jagged rock-involved injuries.
5. Mr. Zogs Sex Wax Original Surf Wax ($12): Check any surf brah’s bag and we guarantee you’ll spot one of these. This “old school” wax has been used since the ‘70s and helps your footsies keep traction!
6. Ole Henriksen Protect The Truth SPF 50+ Sunscreen ($35): Protect your skin from harmful UV rays with this lightweight, oil-free sunscreen that’s jam-packed with antioxidants that help repair existing sun damage.
7. Olivine Love + Salt Mist ($24): Chances are your bodacious beach waves will wear off after a visit to the showers. Keep your texture with this all-natural coconut oil-infused spray. Bonus: It’s also great for moisturizing your skin!
8. Vans Circle Cat-Eye Sunglasses ($12): Meow! We’re obsessed with these cheap but oh-so-stylish cat-eye sunnies. Keep them close by to give your eyes a rest after a day of surfing.
9. Purks + Co. Patchwork Surfboard Bag ($328): This bold bag marries function and style effortlessly. The colorful print is a major head-turner and will for shore make you the baddest babe on the beach.
11. Havaianas Slim Fruits Flip Flops ($32): The classic flip flop gets a punchy new makeover with bold pop-art prints and blingy hardware logo.
13. Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment SPF 15 ($23): Think your skin is the only thing that needs sun protection? Think again! This hydrating, sheer lip balm not only protects our lips but also plumps them up. Plus, this lip-loving essential is free of harmful chemicals.
14. Ban.do Girl Bands Hair Elastics ($10): Not only does surfing cause some major hair tangling, but your flowing mane can also be a major hazard by blocking your sight! Throw your hair in a topknot, or better yet try these easy summer braids!
15. Help Kits ($4): These mini first aid kits have everything you could possibly need, from pain pills for gnarly bruises to bandages for minor cuts. These chic little containers are also biodegradable – should it accidentally get swept up by a wave!
Ready to shred the gnar and show off your killer style? Tell us in the comments below and share your surf stories!