You like to travel in a pack, have your creativity stand out and look super cute on Halloween. But school dress codes (or parents) usually encourage to you to avoid risque costumes on Halloween. Sure, you could go as a Harry Potter character (we vote Luna Lovegood!) or choose a group-costume and go as the cast of Grease, but this year, you want something even more — inspired. Stay creative and adventurous (and out of detention) by trying out one of these 51 fabulous (and modest) teen Halloween costumes.
1. Cat Burglar: Punny, cute and super simple to DIY last-minute, this cat burglar costume is a win. You probably already have this dress!
3. Firefighter: Doesn’t matter what your gender is for this real-life superhero costume. Being a firefighter means you get to rescue your classmates throughout the day too.
4. Forest Fairy: Were you studying for a math test and didn’t have time to shop for a costume? Throw and your best wig, wings and crown (or, better yet, animal ears) for an instant cool look that goes with any outfit.
5. The Ninja Turtles: This costume is an obvious top contender for any teen. Hello, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were teens themselves!
6. Football Players: Grab a few of your friends and make up your very own team! A little magic with knee-socks, jerseys and make-up can go a long way.
7. Salt and Pepper: You know your costume’s school-appropriate when you match with one of your teacher’s costumes too! Still, grab your bestie and go as the kitchen’s most inseparable pair.
8. Nerds: This costume will always be appropriate. Even more so when you’re a student (and nerds rule the school).
9. Pinata: This costume is cute, colorful, and the best excuse we’ve ever heard to break out those fun, colorful heels from the back of your closet! This costume is a DIY-er too, which makes it that much that much easier to pull off this Halloween. (via Seventeen)
11. Mario Brothers: Admit it: these costumes are unexpectedly cute. And if you don’t already have these basic items in your closet, they’re guaranteed to be super easy to find. (via Anita Fashion Designer Clothes)
12. Hipster Disney Princesses: Glasses, flannel, boots and that non-confirmist hipster attitude make these Disney princesses unlike any other. It’s those hipster-inspired signs that are the real clincher, though! These costumes rock. (via Her Campus)
14. Pretty Little Liars: Grab four friends and this is officially the easiest costume to DIY ever. One of you just needs to be “A,” but it’s up to her whether or not she comes out of hiding this Halloween. (via Teen)
15. Violet from The Incredibles: If you’re a Pixar-lover, definitely consider going as one of the Incredibles’ teen family members! That’s right: the super-cool Violet Incredible!
16. Netflix and Chill: You don’t need a boo to nail this costume. We love that her chilly candy bag is part of the outfit!
17. Sully + Mike from Monsters Inc.: Even though those monster grills are fierce, this couple’s costume idea is totally presh. Way to go with the DIY-inspo, guys!
18. Nemo, Dory + Marlin from Finding Nemo: What a cute costume of Finding Nemo’s three leading fish! The intermittent fish-freckles and the fish-pouts are a nice touch for photo-opps too.
22. DIY Cowgirl: This has to be one of the easiest Halloween costumes ever. Even if you don’t think you have the right stuff in your closet, you probably do. She’s not even wearing cowboy boots, but the look totally works.
23. Gogo from Big Hero: If you’re a fan of the Big Hero movies, why not try your hand at this DIY Gogo costume? A purple wristband, tights, and some purple streaks can’t be too hard to finagle. (via cosplayingwhileblack)
24. Cast of Real Housewives: Put on your best dress, pop a bottle and sharpen your claws for this costume. Halloween just wouldn’t be the same without a fight between feuding housewives. (via Brit + Co)
29. DIY Oreos: What could be cuter than showing your love for your bae on Halloween? Well, each dressing up as one half of an oreo, for starters. This is hands down one of the cutest couple costumes. (via Aubrey Jo)
30. Mean Girls: Here’s a little Mean Girls inspo for Halloween, because a classic like this never gets old. This is super easy to DIY and fits perfectly with the high school theme!
31. BMO and GMO: If you’re more into rainbows and butterflies and puppy butts, Adventure Time might be the way to go. BMO meets GMO is every techie’s cartoon dream come true. (via Heather Paul/Flickr Creative Commons)
34. Superhero Women’s Tank Dresses ($16 each): If you’re not quite ready for the head-to-toe spandex look, you can always go for one of these superhero tank dresses. Pair your frock with one of our #LazyGirl Halloween Hair Hacks, and you’ll be ready to go in 15 minutes.
36. Powerpuff Girls: Here’s another red, green and blue trio from your childhood to inspire your friends to throw it back this Halloween. Why not pay tribute to the original all-girl crime-fighting superhero trio? (via Instructables)
37. Adventure Time: The fun is never ending with this costume inspired by some of our favorite cartoon characters on late-night TV. Seriously, we love the idea of repping our fav Adventure Time characters! (via Deviant Art)
38. Hipster Disney Princesses. Grab your tightest jeans and biggest glasses and work on your snarkiest hipster drawl to perfect this smart and silly costume. We think one of them should wear a beanie! (via Maison Mouse)
41. Frat Boys: This is the dream, ladies. This Halloween, play the joke on the frat boys — the ultimate pranksters. You might even consider a Neighbors theme if you want to get inspo from popular movies. (via Whitney Poginy)
43. Bag of Jelly Beans: All you need to create this adorable costume is a clear plastic bag and plenty of colorful balloons. This’ll be one of the most unique costumes you see all night! (via Modern Kiddo)
44. Miss Universe: This is one of the most original Halloween costumes we’ve ever seen — the moment when the wrong Miss Universe was crowned by accident. She has since said that having to give up the crown was emotionally traumatizing — how sad! (via Total Sorority Move)
45. Operation Costume: Remember that old board game you used to love as a kid? This costume is the perfect way to bring back the childhood classic, and is guaranteed to be the most fun of any costume around. (via Huffington Post)
46. Thesaurus: This is the perfect pun-filled costume for any brainiac! Combine your love of words with a distinctly prehistoric theme and you’ve got yourself a Tyrannosaurus-thesaurus hybrid. Your teachers might even approve of this one!(via n00brarian)
47. Soda Bottle Head Accessory: This costume wins the prize for the craftiest find! It’s surprisingly simple to construct and is genuinely clever. Plus, if you have friends with lots of different hair colors, the possibilities are endless. (via A Bowl of Pistachios in The Tardis)
48. Shrimp Cocktail: This is the perfect way to bring a pun to life this Halloween. Not only is the shrimp hat hilarious by itself, but the added cocktail brings a whole new level of humor to the costume. (via Yatzer)
49. Holy Guacamole & Holy Cow: No Halloween would be complete without getting seriously pun-ny. By pairing your getup with an angel’s halo and wings, you’ve accomplished insta-holy. Then all you need is something green or cow-print! (via Huffington Post/Emma Gray)
50. DIY Minion Group Costume: When in doubt, you can always turn to animated movies for a little inspo. Here’s a step-by-step guide to making an adorable home-made Minion costume, perfect for you and your entire squad! (via Brit + Co)
What are your favorite Halloween costumes for teens? Show us on Pinterest!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.