Spring is all about starting anew. So why not try a fresh cut (think a pixie, blunt bob, or shag)? But before you book your next salon appointment, READ THIS. Haircuts, like brow shapes, are not one size fits all. Have you ever had your heart set on a dream cut, only to find out that it looked more like a nightmare on you? That’s because what works on your favorite celeb or Insta influencer might not wow on you — and vice versa! To save you from ‘do disasters, we’re sharing the most flattering short haircuts for your face shape.
1. Oval: Because oval faces are symmetrical (the widths of your brow, cheekbones and jaw are equal) there’s nothing to balance, which means you can have a little fun and get a little funky with it. Why not try a textured pixie cut a la Charlize Theron or Beyoncé (for five glorious minutes) back in 2013? (Photo via Steve Granitz/Getty)
2. Round: A tousled shag is a stunning style for round-faced celebs like Chrissy Teigen, Selena Gomez, and Jennifer Lawrence. A piecey cut with more angles counterbalances roundness and lends structure. Ask your stylist to cut the angles to your cheekbones for the illusion of more chiseled features. (Photo via Jason LaVeris/Getty)
3. Square: If you have a square face shape, like Rosario Dawson, Olivia Wilde, and Gwyneth Paltrow, opt for a bouncy bob. The volume on top lengthens the face, and if the cut hits a little below the jawbone, the focus goes to your cheekbones for a more balanced effect. (Photo via Steve Granitz/Getty)
4. Heart-Shaped: Take a cue from the quintessential heart-shaped gal, Reese Witherspoon, with a collarbone-length cut with sweeping bangs. Wondering why this style is super flattering for heart-shaped faces? The uniform length creates the illusion of more width at the narrowest part, and the focus is on the side-swept bangs. (Photo via MMP/Startraksphoto.com)
5. Oblong: If you have an oblong face, like Alexa Chung and Sarah Jessica Parker, a wavy lob is a stunning choice. Waves or curls (if your hair is curly, embrace your natural texture!) add volume to balance the length of your face. Pro tip: Avoid a straightening iron, as limp locks can draw the eye down, making your face look longer. (Photo via Michael Stewart/Getty)
6. Diamond-Shaped: The hallmark of a diamond-shaped face? The widest points occur at the cheekbones, while the forehead and chin are equally narrow (think Jenna Dewan Tatum, Ashley Greene, and Rihanna). A sleek, slightly angled bob with long layers in the front will help offset the width of the cheeks. A cut that works tucked behind the ear is a fab way to show off your gorge cheekbones. Hey, if you got it flaunt it. (Photo via Gregg DeGuire/ Getty)
For more #hairspo, follow us on Pinterest.