With July in full swing, it’s no wonder your tresses are in dire need of a summer shake-up. While hair stenciling and messy buns are great warm weather upgrades, there’s nothing like a good old-fashioned plait to help you keep your cool. That’s why we’re spotlighting all the hottest braids for the summer, according to Instagram. From kick-ass boxer braids to picture-perfect messy braids, we’re giving you the ABCs of every style you need to rock during this sizzling season. Get your bobby pins and hair ties ready — here are the 11 show-stopping braids you need in your life.
1. Bangs Braid: Give those fussy growing-out bangs some love by braiding them into a miniature crown. Pull the rest of your locks into a low bun for a perfect summer hairstyle you can rely on for months to come.
2. Boho Braid: Weave your strands into a romantic boho braid for a casual-meets-classy look. Bonus points for pairing with a summer-ready pastel hue.
3. Boxer Braids: Your boxer braids aren’t just for workouts anymore. Flaunt those structured plaits the next time you’re itching to add a sporty look to your repertoire.
4. Braided Updo: Keep the nape of your neck sweat-free by with this French-braided updo. Let your baby hairs hang loose for a playful vibe, or keep it sleek for a more formal presentation.
5. Fishtail Braid: Upgrade your lackluster pony by sporting two types of braids simultaneously. Break apart the styles by wrapping some strands around the middle for a multidimensional touch.
6. French Braid: Elevate a classic by twisting the ends into a sleek pony. Give this look a shot next time you head to the gym to class up your workout ensemble.
7. Milkmaid Braids: The Swedish Midsummer festival may be over, but you can keep the look going by rocking these milkmaid braids all summer long. Use dry shampoo beforehand for extra texture.
8. Punk Braid: Decorate your cornrow mohawk with some blinged-out accessories. Complete the look with a ballerina-approved bun for a sophisticated take on a punk-rock style.
9. Pancake Braid: Thick-haired beauties, rejoice! Take your luscious locks to the next level with a crowned pancake braid. Spritz with a texturizing spray to keep those mega braids in place.
10. Side Braid: This Princess Jasmine-approved braid is what girly girl dreams are made of. Pro tip: Straighten your locks before styling for an extra-sleek finish.
11. Tousled Braid: Let your bedhead shine by recreating this messy half-up ‘do. Accessorize with a piña colada for that extra tropical touch.
Loving these summer braided hairstyles? Follow us on Pinterest for more genius hair hacks and inspo.