Karen and Steve met over pretzels, fell in love in the presence of Iron Maiden and got engaged on a Friday afternoon in Tribeca Park after a lengthy discussion about dusk. So when considering the soundtrack to their love story, they had only one option: Run to the Hills! The pair set out to celebrate their love for each other alongside their love of nature at Rufflands Farm in upstate New York. These two wanted a beautiful and totally boho wedding with a colorful twist to fit their personal styles. With some major DIY wins like festive garlands and gilded place cards, lots of one-of-a-kind personal touches and Karen’s artistic skills, their big day ended up being just what they dreamed of: a small, joy-filled day that displayed their love for each other and for their family and friends. Scroll on for all the adorable deets and incredible photos from A Guy and A Girl Photography below.
1. Rustic Location. Karen and Steve shared the joy and love of their big day inside the rustic barn of a working farm in upstate New York. The green beauty of the country was all they needed for the most idyllic wedding, complete with an unconstructed architecture look that truly set it apart and gave a rural, bohemian feel without being over-the-top. With such a pretty setting, all that was needed for decor were DIY details that made for gorgeous pops of color in the photos.
2. Whimsical Details. Keeping in theme with the laid-back spirit, the bride added lots of nature-filled details into her look. She looked like a woodland fairy with her real one-of-a-kind floral crown, which was crafted of mostly greenery and a big bunch of flowers as an accent. To include a touch of glam in her boho goddess look, the bride’s gown was delicately adorned with gorgeous sparkling details that totally elevated the look. #SWOON
3. DIY Wildflower Bouquet. If you’re currently planning a wedding, you already know that florals come in all shapes, sizes and colors, but nothing is quite as coveted by boho brides than a totally unique bridal bouquet. Karen kept her florals in theme and opted for a mix of local, colorful wildflowers in her bouquet. If you dig this look, you can do the same by heading to a floral market, grabbing similar blooms and bunches of inexpensive baby’s breath, tying them off with floral wire and covering the wire with some pretty fabric. You’ll end up with a one-of-a-kind bouquet and new flower arrangement skills!
4. DIY Ceremony Backdrop. The pair exchanged vows inside the barn, surrounded by friends and newly combined families and an ultra-colorful fringe garland hanging over them, right before feasting like royalty and tearing up the dance floor. The best part about this colorful ceremony decor? Garlands are easy to make yourself. All you need is pretty pastel fabrics or tissue paper that match your color palette, white rope and scissors. Add a couple of string lights, and you’ve got the perfect decor to keep partying through the night.
5. Colorful + Rustic Decor. If you liked the ceremony backdrop, you’re going to LOVE how the couple continued the super colorful theme throughout the reception decor. Karen — being the design genius that she is — conceptualized the entire weekend way ahead of time and ended up with an explosion of creativity through faux farm animal taxidermy, a custom handmade field guide, repurposed glassware and thousands and thousands of shimmery hand-twisted tassels.
6. Golden Escort Cards. Our favorite money-saving moment lies with these cuties. For the escort cards, Karen and Steve were inspired by the venue and location of the event. They used these beautiful golden farm animal figurines (which also serve as ring holders!) in lieu of your typical escort cards. To DIY, head to your local craft store to buy farm animal figurines and spray paint with your color of choice.
7. Unique Photo Booth Props: Just because photo booths are an absolute must for weddings these days doesn’t mean you have to stick to the traditional props. The couple made sure to include a super fun and non-traditional prop box — including Breakfast at Tiffany’s-esque animal masks — for their photo booth loft. Not only did friends and family enjoy taking photos, but the couple captured lots of candid moments with guests using the props throughout the party. Pure genius!
8. Gold-Dipped Wedding Cake: To keep the vibe of the entire day ultra fun with a bohemian twist, Karen and Steve opted for an Insta-worthy gold-dipped wedding cake that was styled to perfection thanks to the team at Bread Alone. Since gold is such a striking color, you don’t need a very big cake to make a huge impression. Stick to a single tier or two-tiered cake for this dreamy look.
There’s no doubt that this unique, nature-inspired couple had so much fun all weekend, filling their entire celebration with lots of colorful and personal details. Congrats to the happy couple!
Photographer: A Guy and a Girl Photography
Venue: Rufflands Farm, Red Hook, New York
Design and Decor: KL Designs
Floral Designer: Flower Nest
Cake Designer: Bread Alone
Groom’s Attire: J.Crew
Bride’s Gown: Dolce Vita
Bride’s Shoes: Valentino
Hair and Makeup: Marc Mazzuca
Jewelry: Erica Weiner Jewelry
Follow us on Pinterest for more beautiful + creative wedding inspo.