No one can forget when Angelina Jolie’s right leg (and power pose to go along with it) became the breakout star of the Oscars a few years back —it was a deceptively simple fashion coup that spawned a million memes, and the high slit made a comeback at the 2016 Oscars. But what the mother of six started, other celebs can’t stop (although they swapped sides): It is *the left leg* that is the sexiest body part to show off this summer, as some of our favorite gals have been demonstrating on the red carpet lately.
Cannes was full of left legs making their debuts: Everyone from heavy hitting superstar actresses to models threw their legs out on the red carpet. Rosie, Karlie, Alessandra and Bella Hadid in THAT red dress all slayed it.
This is an easy enough trend to copy, and you definitely don’t have to be a supermodel to pull it off! When you’re searching for dresses online, try keywords such as “high slit,” “slit maxi” and “slit dress.” There are also skirt versions, so you can mix and match the high-slit with a covered-up top if that’s more your style. It’s a great trend to take for a spin at a formal event as well. Just make sure you nail the pose — hand on hip, leg out and confidence in full force. Here are five of our high-slit picks that’ll have you rockin’ this trend in no time.
1. BCBG Felicity Chiffon High Slit Gown ($298): This shade of blue complements practically everyone, and can be dressed up for a formal event with tons of sparkle, or down for a night by the sea with flat sandals and a simple pair of earrings.
2. Michael Michael Kors Printed Jersey Side Slit Maxi ($140): Go for it with a pretty, sophisticated print like this one — you’ll be the talk of the BBQ or the rehearsal dinner for sure. Consider adding a long necklace or a stack of bangles for a fresh take on accessories.
3. Yumi Kim Rush Hour Slit Dress ($288): Doesn’t this print make you want to jet off to a tropical location? Add some metallic heels for a fancy beach wedding, or try even just flip flops for a casual night out (our favorite footwear for this one is barefoot!).
4. Krisa Maxi Dress ($198): When in doubt, choose a simple black dress to be your canvas for a great piece of jewelry or shoes. You can also layer it in transitional seasons with a sweater, for a more casual yet still alluring look.
5. Show Me Your Mumu Heather Lilac Halter Dress ($168): This gorgeous lilac number actually mixes it up by showing off the right leg, and would make a beautiful bridesmaid’s dress. If you want to go more casual, try adding a rope belt and lace-up sandals.
Have you rocked a side slit? Show us your outfits on Instagram with #iamcreative!
(Images via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)