Your partner asked; you said yes! Now it’s time to celebrate — and announce it to everyone on Facebook, Instagram and all of your social media channels. Before you hit “post,” avoid falling into these common traps that can take you from #humblebrag to #obnoxious. Read on for six tips to a totally tasteful engagement announcement.
1. Don’t flood the feed. We get it. You’re super pumped, and rightfully so! But an onslaught of pics, status updates, photo albums and big day details all in one day might feel like a lot for your followers. Instead, spread out your posts — it’ll extend your newly engaged bliss while keeping your friends from getting overwhelmed!
2. Don’t get too specific about the ring. We love a good ring selfie — and your besties will too — but resist the temptation of sharing every detail about it. While it is a gorgeous ring, the real celebration should revolve around your love and impending marriage.
3. Do stick to one photo or album. Remember, quality over quantity! Instead of posting a bunch of photos in the days following your engagement — most of which will get lost in the feed anyway — stick to one really awesome pic or wait until you have enough to stitch them all together.
4. Do thank people for their well wishes. They took the time to like or comment on your news, so return the courtesy with a like or reply of your own.
5. Don’t share every detail of your planning process. We know, we know — wedding planning is so much fun! But try not to turn your Facebook or Instagram account into a live blog leading up to the big day, especially if you can’t invite all of your followers.
6. Don’t make other people’s engagement announcements about you. If your friend gets engaged, make sure to show your excitement without bringing up your own engagement. Every bride or groom deserves his or her turn in the spotlight!
(Photo via Getty)