There are so many things to love about the holiday season, but those hideously festive sweaters are always near the top of the list. And there’s no better way to celebrate this goofy holiday tradition than some QT with your craft drawer! So avoid the craziness at the mall and forget waiting for an online order to arrive — you can DIY these ugly Christmas sweaters with pieces from your local thrift or craft store, or even sweaters already in your closet.
1. Drake Sweater: While the Drake holiday sweaters may be sold out, you can DIY your very own using a printer and iron-on transfer paper. Whip one up and get ready to make that hotline bling at your next ugly sweater party. (via Brit + Co)
3. Santa Baby Sweater: This sweater is definitely festive enough for two. You could also customize the color and pattern of the ornament to your baby’s name or nursery color palette! (via Swoodson Says)
5. Nerdy Reindeer Sweater: Don’t shell out a ton of cash for a sweater you may only wear to one holiday party. This sweater can be made for next to nothing — just a few stencils and embellishments and you’re done. (via Life After Laundry)
6. Grumpy Cat Sweater: Everyone’s favorite feline could use a little holiday cheer. Simply cut out these shapes with felt paper and stitch or glue to an existing sweater in your closet. (via Cut Out + Keep)
8. Not My Gum Drop Buttons Sweater: Fabric paint and stencils save the day with this simple DIY. Personalize your sweater to include your own holiday message or quote your favorite Christmas film — “You’ll shoot your eye out” seems pretty appropriate. (via Pretty Providence)
13. Christmas Tree Sweater: Never underestimate the power of safety pins and battery-powered lights. Create a tree with felt and holiday embellishments, pin them to a sweater and you’re done! (via Something Splendid)
14. Ugly Santa Sweater: Don’t want to sacrifice your knits to the ugly sweater gods? No problem. Just head to the thrift store for a chunky sweater and glue on some holiday accoutrements for a unique work of art. (via Spit Up Is the New Black)
How will you be creating your ugly sweater this year? Share your creative tips with us in the comments!