Moving can be rough. The move into a new or first apartment? Fuhgeddaboudit. Those sleek hardwoods and charming alcoves may have been the selling point, but they can also highlight all the necessary-but-missing items the rest of us take for granted. Save that stylishly labeled bottle of wine for the housewarming party after they’ve settled in, and turn your focus now to kitchen essentials and multipurpose decor pieces. These gifts will make them think of you (and your excellent taste) for years to come.
1. Dash Go Standing Kitchen Mixer ($70): Now that they have an apartment, they might start looking beyond the microwave to make their baked goods. Give the gift of baking with this stylish little mixer that won’t break the bank.
2. Pantone Coffee Maker ($30 on SALE): It doesn’t get much better than the gift of coffee. This bright red take on the classic Italian coffee machine will be a welcome addition to a brand new kitchen.
3. Wild + Wolf Gold Flashlight ($30): Who says necessities have to be boring? Light up the place with a little #blingbling that can easily double as bookshelf decor.
4. Mason Shaker Gift Set ($50): Give them a head start on their home bar with a mini mixer kit. It comes complete with a shaker, muddler and jigger, so they’ll be able to throw a housewarming party in style.
5. Snuggle Zone Blanket ($70): Now that it’s hello-couch-goodbye-futon, make sure there’s a cozy throw blanket on hand so they can curl up with Netflix once the WiFi’s hooked up.
6. NutriBullet Blender ($80): New habits for their new digs? Getting a new place is a great way to start a new habit, while routines aren’t yet established. This mini blender will make a big impact on their smoothie game.
8. Medallion Noodle Chopsticks + Bowl ($14): Takeaway dinners just got classy with the help of these colorful bowls.
9. Watchman Bamboo Desk Lamp ($100): Light up their new home office or bedside with a stylish lamp that doubles as a phone charger and display.
11. Personalized Mixtape Doormat by Jim Holodak ($38): The days of making mix tapes for your BFF may be over, but the sentiment remains. Give someone a reason to dance over the doorstep with this personalized mat.
12. Bean + Bailey Crystal-Cut Hanging Planter ($38): If you’re going to bring a potted plant, it’s imperative that the pot doubles as art. A hanging pot won’t take up much room in a small apartment, and they can use it over and over again.
13. Kusmi Teas Wellness Tea Sampler ($35): According to the British, the answer to any situation is always tea. Bonus points for getting pretty tins that can easily be displayed on open shelves or on a coffee/tea cart.
14. Photo Cube Smartphone Printer ($140): Give the most “liked” photos on Instagram the recognition they deserve by taking them offline and onto the walls. All those memories can double as easy decor for the new space.
15. Giant Gem Speakers ($40): Home entertainment is an overlooked gifting category, but these speakers are basically a way to guarantee that any music-listening experience becomes an automatic party.
16. AeroMist Aromatherapy Oil Diffuser ($60): Moving is stressful, so give the gift of relaxation with aromatherapy. Candles are always a popular gift, but they’ll get a lot more use out of a diffuser that lets them cater the scent to their favorite mood.
17. Marble and Acacia Wood Cheese Paddle ($24 on SALE): This is great for anyone who only has the basics in their kitchen. A nice cheese and cracker serving platter instantly takes any meal to pro-hosting status, and they’ll love you for that.
18. Monogrammed Square Paperwhite Soap Set ($50): Small details like something monogrammed make a big difference when they’re starting to make a new place feel like home.
19. Homemakers by Brit Morin ($23): Pretty coffee table books often sit around gathering dust, so give the gift of a really great book that they’ll actually want to use. Something that is in sync with their interests will be displayed — and actually read — for years to come. (via Brit + Co)
What would you want to receive for your first apartment? Tell us about your favorite gifts in the comments below!