When steppin’ into that plant-based lifestyle, it’s crucial to find recipes that give cozy, meaty classics a vegetarian makeover. Luckily, lentils work amazingly as a meat substitute, and they’re jam-packed with nutrients like protein and dietary fiber. If you think that chicken curries and beef tacos are the only foods worth bunkering down with in your sweats on a quiet Friday night, we’re about to change your mind. These 12 vegetarian lentil recipes are good for your heart, your soul, *and* your tastebuds.
1. Healthy Vegetarian Lentil-Walnut Meatballs: These robust cheatballs offer up a substantial meal without inviting any meat to the party. Serve them on top of your fave pasta or in a bun smothered with tomato sauce. (via Vegetarian Ventures)
3. Lentil Tacos With Pickled Cabbage, Tahini Cream, and Microgreens: If you can’t wait for Taco Tuesday, these lentil-stuffed gems are perfect for Meatless Monday. (via Cocoa Bean, the Vegetable)
4. Spiced Red Lentil and Root Vegetable Soup: We’re all excited about spring produce. But, if you’re looking for an excuse to use up those tasty root veggies one last time, this hearty vegan lentil soup is the way to do it. (via Domestic Gothess)
5. Sweet and Smokey Mushroom and Apple Breakfast Patty: Some days, nothing sounds better than indulging in breakfast for dinner. This oozing cheesy breakfast sandwich brings a meaty mushroom patty to ensure you won’t miss that sausage. (via Young, Broke, and Hungry)
6. Lentil Cabbage Tacos With Vegan Chipotle Aioli: Hearty, crisp, and delicious, these tacos will fill you up without putting you into a food-induced coma. And that smokey aioli? Totally vegan, and totally a godsend. (via Nutritional Foodie)
8. Egyptian Koshari Recipe: This comforting bowl of goodies might become a regular at your dinner table. Lentils are tossed in a tomato sauce and served with rice, pasta, chickpeas, and crispy onions for textural heaven. (via The Mediterranean Dish)
9. Spaghetti Squash Marinara With Lentil Vegan Meatballs: This veg-filled dinner option is a nutritional DREAM. You’re literally just filling up on veggies all while feeling like you’re eating a comforting classic. So much win. (via Kale Me Maybe)
10. Trumpet Mushrooms Bowls With Herbed Lentils: This colorful bowl is like nothing we’ve seen before, and we are IN LOVE. Seared trumpet mushrooms pack a punch in this fantastic dinner op, bringing mad flavor to that bed of lentils. (via The Mostly Vegan)
11. Weeknight Root Vegetable Dal: This super vibrant dal is everything you want in a wholesome plant-based meal. It’s tasty and nourishing, and it makes your weeknights a breeze with its throw-it-all-in-the-pot-and-simmer method. (via Blissful Basil)
12. Vegan Cabbage Rolls: If you grew up with an Eastern European mom or grandmother, then you’re very familiar (and completely in love) with cabbage rolls. Thanks to some vegan creativity, you can enjoy them on a plant-based diet too! (via Maikin Mokomin)
For more belly-warming vegetarian eats, check us out on Pinterest.