Cozy nights present the perfect opportunity to indulge in warm fall goodies (can you say pumpkin dessert?!). And we have lots of ideas on how to make your favorite comfort foods healthy. But tonight, we’re in the mood for our favorite warm rice dish: risotto. If you aren’t sure what risotto is, it’s a starchy rice cooked in a stock or broth, usually to a creamy, delicious consistency. You’re going to love it, trust us. In fact, here are 12 veggie options so that when meatless Monday rolls around, you have all kinds of choices for this delectable dish.
1. Caramelized Onion Risotto: Sometimes it’s just worth it to knowingly eat obscene amounts of onion, because they’re that good — especially with risotto. Parmesan, butter, goat cheese and avocado oil bring it all together to make it a definite home run. (via Wendy Polisi)
2. Pumpkin Risotto With Goat Cheese and Dried Cranberries: This recipe might make the cut as your newest Thanksgiving side dish. With ingredients like pumpkin and goat cheese, this one absolutely screams best family holiday dish EVER. (via Platings & Pairings)
3. Balsamic Caprese Risotto: This dish is super fresh, and the balsamic offers that tang we crave. But it’s the touch of white wine added to the vegetable stock that pushes the flavor completely over the edge. (via Three Olives Branch)
4. Asparagus Lemon Risotto: We can already taste the crunch of the asparagus in this dish. In a meal filled with soft rice, a girl needs that extra bite to look forward to. Bonus: This recipe is cheese-free for our non-dairy friends. (via Garlic Matters)
5. Crispy Brussels Sprout and Creamy Parmesan Risotto: Brussels sprouts are super good for you and super delicious, so this meal is a win-win. Plus, the unexpected veggie goes perfectly with the classic chicken stock and Parmesan risotto flavors. (via Maebells)
6. Roasted Butternut Squash Risotto: What’s more seasonal than butternut squash? Nothing! This is a great option because it’s positively loaded with flavor — garlic, fried sage and onion, to name a few. (via Cookie + Kate)
7. Lemon Basil Risotto With Burrata: What’s burrata, you ask? Well, it’s a semisoft Italian cheese made with mozzarella and cream that pairs perfectly with the flavors of this dish. Plus, we absolutely love the fresh green color that the basil adds to the rice. (via Just a Little Bit of Bacon)
8. Perfect Mushroom Risotto: Mushroom risotto is like the chicken Alfredo of the pasta world — it’s the classic, go-to flavor. You can whip this up in about 30 minutes, which makes it perfect for a last-minute weeknight meal. (via Good Dinner Mom)
9. Roasted Tomato Risotto: This warm dish will take you straight to Italy. The rice is cooked in fresh, whole tomatoes, and then fresh cubes of creamy mozzarella are tossed in for an incredible level of cheesiness we ALL crave. (via The Daring Gourmet)
10. Sweet Corn Risotto: Of course this recipe stems from the Midwest, because (DUH!) it’s filled with sweet corn. On the real though, the extra bit of butter and grated Parmesan put this dish pretty high on the comfort food faves list. (via Iowa Girl Eats)
11. Tomato-Basil and Spinach Risotto: Risotto doesn’t have to be all carbs. Case in point: This recipe is *full* of spinach, tomatoes and basil. These fresh ingredients balance out the salty cheese and dry white wine for a great side dish any day of the week. (via Iowa Girl Eats)
12. Parmesan Pesto Risotto With Cherry Tomatoes: Ah, pesto! You love it on your pasta and pizza, and now you can love it cooked with rice too. Oh, and the cherry tomatoes aren’t just for show — they taste pretty delicious too. (via Whole and Heavenly Oven)
Want more delicious recipes? Follow us on Pinterest!