Besides an excuse to sip rosé all day like a queen (#guilty), the upcoming 10th Annual Veuve Clicquot Polo Classic in NYC is the perfect opportunity to reach for your floppiest straw hat, tropical statement pieces, and essential espadrilles. While preppy, equestrian-inspired styles reign supreme, “picnicking in your Sunday best” is a more accurate depiction of the dress code. Keep scrolling for 15 style essentials that are guaranteed to fit the bill, whether you’re actually trekking out to Liberty State Park or are playing hostess to a rosé garden-themed bash of your own. No FOMO here!
1. Cult Gaia Dorothy Bow Back Gingham Top ($118) + Dorothy Gingham Capri Pant ($128): Dorothy called and she wants her baby blue gingham co-ord back. JK. But actually — this playful set with bow straps (eek!) is so cute, we wouldn’t be surprised if it sold out in record time.
2. Loeffler Randall Alfie Espadrille Sneaker ($250): Dare to be seen with these striped espadrilles that require no introduction. We’re calling it now: The tutti-frutti raffia poms will 100 percent steal the show.
3. Whit Kimani Skirt ($448): Offset this bold striped tie-waist skirt (it has pockets, people!) with a fiercely feminine ruffled blouse and fringe-tastic drop earrings for a Veuve Clicquot Polo Classic-inspired look that can be worn anytime/anywhere.
4. Bembien Rose Bag ($185): Watch out, Cult Gaia — there’s a new basket bag in town. Meet Bembien’s circular handwoven rattan bag that will undoubtedly accompany you on many a seaside adventure this summer.
5. J.Crew Rhodes Blazer in Vintage Plaid ($178) + High-Waisted Short in Vintage Plaid ($65): When in doubt, err on the side of yuppy. Yup, we said it. This vintage-style madras print combo consisting of a tailored blazer and contemporary tie-waist shorts can do no wrong — give or take some backless mules and classic wayfarers.
6. Matiko Raquela Sandals ($108): As a rule of thumb, sensible sandals are a must when attending these types of outdoor events. For a blister-free afternoon spent sipping bubbly (and people watching), we recommend these low-heel gingham sandals featuring a simple strap.
7. Kate Spade New York Berber Stripe Visor ($68): *Pretend* you’re a spectator at the polo classic with this ceaselessly chic beach ball-striped visor that’s game for every pool party on your iCal.
8. A.J. Morgan Ding Dong Sunglasses ($24): Throw major shade — and protect those peepers — with a pair of scene-stealing tortoiseshell and crystal pink shades.
9. Staud Fang Blouse ($130): When it’s hot AF, the last thing you want to do is overdress. Keep things easy-breezy with this seersucker safari blouse that plays well with linen culottes, flat-brimmed hats, and resort-ready huaraches.
10. Hat Attack Senila Hat ($99): Consider yourself equipped for a sizzlin’ summer of outdoor fêtes and fancy picnics now that you’ve got the ultimate floppy straw hat on standby. Best believe that black bow would do any urban sophisticate proud.
11. Topshop Striped Linen Paper Bag Skirt ($65): When full-on preppy isn’t your thing, opt for a paper bag skirt featuring wear-everywhere railroad stripes. A tucked-in tee, summatime slides, and a tassel-ready straw beach tote will you have Veuve-ing in style in no time.
12. Kayu Rosé All Day Pouch ($66): Picture this: You’re sippin’ pink bubbly with one hand and clutching this so fab gingham pouch in the other. Life must be hard.
13. Free People x KAS NY Some Girls Embroidered Jumpsuit ($148): Major dramarama, right this way. Put the va-va in the voom with this deep-V scalloped hem jumpsuit that could even double for a Gossip Girl-inspired White party if you play your cards right.
14. Zara Pack of Bandana Chokers ($16): Show up to the Veuve Clicquot party twinning with your BFF? Play it cool by fastening one of these bandana chokers around your neck for a high-profile lewk.
15. Reformation Dakota Dress ($218): Leave it to Reformation to come through with the quintessential LWD. Between the modest length, lace trim, and darling shoulder ties, we couldn’t have dreamt of a more perfect day dress — just add lace-up espadrilles FTW.
Will you be attending the 10th Annual Veuve Clicquot Polo Classic? Follow us on Pinterest for more summer style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.