When it comes to no-fail pieces that will always work together, you can count on stripes and denim. The classic combo calls to mind understated French-girl style and vintage Americana. You’ve got the look down pat each morning when you instinctively reach for your striped long-sleeve and skinny jeans, but even that tried-and-true outfit can get tired. When you’re ready to change up your look without straying from your favorite duo, try redefining the expected tee and jeans combo. We’re coming at you with eight fresh pairings of stripes and denim that take the tag team to even chicer sartorial heights.
1. First & I Stripe Palazzo Pant ($38) + Madewell Drop-Hem Denim Shirt in Dark Indigo ($88): Do a little role reversal and rock your stripes on the bottom and denim on top. Skinny jeans become free-wheelin’ palazzo pants with asymmetric stripes and the traditional boat neck Breton tee is replaced by a dark denim boxy shirt. Rock it as an outer layer with a turtleneck underneath for added warmth and subtle throwback flair.
2. Forever21 Contemporary Ribbed Knit Stripe Top ($13) + BDG Cora Denim Overall Midi Dress ($89): T-shirts take on a flirty, playful feel when paired with overalls done up in a dressy silhouette. Add lace-up flatforms and a lucite choker for a modern grungy vibe that feels right on trend.
3. J.Crew Rugby-Striped T-Shirt With Back Zipper ($60) + Iris and Ink Paula High-Rise Wide-Leg Pants ($165): You don’t have to do an all-out overhaul to make your wardrobe feel fresh; a few subtle tweaks are enough to totally transform your look. Tuck an embellished crew-neck into tie-waist, wide-leg denim and pull it together with a skinny scarf and longline coat. Sophistication in seconds.
4. H&M Striped Sweater ($50) + Levi’s 501 CT Jeans ($65): Enliven your stripes by playing both with color and line weight, starting with this vibrant sweater. White denim provides the perfect backdrop to really make the bold bands stand out. Style the statement-making separates with a bright beanie and printed trainers for the ultimate off-duty getup.
5. Cupcakes and Cashmere Piper Stripe Sweater Dress ($115) + J.O.A. Heart Trenching Denim Jacket ($118): Only have a few minutes to pull together an outfit that’s boardroom-to-bar ready? This is it. Just add super sleek mules or sling-back loafers and you’re golden. A simple long sleeve layer makes it cold-weather appropriate.
6. Mango Striped Cotton Dress ($50) + Banana Republic Medium Wash Crop Flare ($98): This banded frock can hold its own, but cropped denim adds to its versatility. Layered necklaces, pointed-toe flats and a teddy bear coat elevate the ensemble to street-style-star status, while simple Stan Smith-style kicks keep it real.
7. Cloth & Stone Lace-Front Chambray Top ($98) + Zara Striped Wrap Skirt ($50): Making denim at work a thing is as as simple as a collared chambray shirt. The laid-back vibe gets an HR-approved boost with a wrap-front pencil skirt and patent ankle boots.
8. Free People Olvera Crop Wrap ($98) + ASOS Denim Midi Skirt With Zip Front ($55): Stripes get girly with a cropped wrap blouse and midi skirt with a sassy front slit. Wear it now with knee-high riding boots and lace-up sandals once warm weather rolls around.
What’s your favorite way to wear French Girl stripes? Tell us about your favorite ways to wear and restyle closet staples by tagging us on Instagram @britandco!