Aside from the fabulous photos ops, your wedding exit is the grand finale to one of the most spectacular days of your life and is the perf chance for guests and family to shower you with love. Throwing rice is a great tradition, but what if you don’t want rice, or your venue doesn’t allow it? It’s easy to make your wedding ceremony exit just as exciting as your entrance with a little help from your guests and some creative rice alternatives like confetti, flower petals and paper streamers. Once you’ve said “I do” and nailed your first smooch, kick-start your happily-ever-after with one of these 18 wow-worthy ways to make a grand exit.
1. Wedding Pom Poms: For a whimsical touch, opt for pretty pom poms in your wedding colors. They’re inexpensive to make, won’t stain your dress or get stuck in your hair and can even be taken home as gift favors. There might just be a pom pom making party in your near future… (via Brit + Co)
2. DIY Confetti Sticks: A good confetti toss creates a photo backdrop that is as gorgeous as the bride herself. Plus, a few vases full of confetti sticks can totally double as decor until it’s time to make your grand exit. (via Best Friends for Frosting)
3. Glow Sticks: Who says you have to actually throw anything? Light up the night with some rave-worthy accessories that’ll make your nighttime exit a real showstopper. (via Krystale Villanueva)
4. Paper Streamers: Colorful paper streamers make for one *v* photogenic exit. There’s zero cleanup and it’s easy to customize the colors to match your wedding theme. The best part is that guests can hang onto their wands and use them in the photo booth later. (via Brides)
5. BHLDN Petal Popper ($14): Sorry, flower girls, but throwing petals isn’t just for the entrance walk anymore. Nothing is more romantic than heading off on your honeymoon in a shower of rose petals.
6. Eucalyptus Leaves: Sweet-smelling eucalyptus leaves are perfect for the minimalist bride. If you’re having a fall wedding, falling leaves create a great photo backdrop, whether you pick soft green eucalyptus leaves or bright orange and red maple leaves. (via Lindsay Madden Photography / Ruffled)
7. Confetti Cones: Get guests into celebration mode by providing paper cones full of confetti to use as you exit your ceremony. The vibrant colors will make lovely photo opps, and chunky paper confetti isn’t too much of a pain to clean up afterward. (via Isabelle Selby Photography / Ruffled)
8. Glitter: This one has some serious pros and cons. Yes, a shower of golden glitter is a fairy-tale sendoff, but the cleanup might not be so magical. Make sure you check with your venue before passing out tubes of glitter and, even better, go for the eco stuff that just melts away. (via Angie Capri Photography / The Perfect Palette)
9. Erya Studio Wedding Flags ($89, set of 100): If your venue isn’t crazy about the idea of cleaning up rice or glitter, go for these adorable (and totally customizable) flags instead. There’s no mess involved, but walking down an aisle of fluttering flags will definitely make for some stunning photos.
10. Bubbles: Guests will have as much fun blowing bubbles as you will walking through them. You can easily personalize inexpensive bubble wands with ribbon, twine or paint for that extra special touch. (via Krista Jones A. Jones Photography / The Knot)
11. Sequin Wands: Add some fun and flair to your exit with ribbon wands waving through the air in your wedding colors or in glittering gold sequins. If you’re not really a fan of having things thrown at you, this is a fun variation on the tradition sans mess. (via E.P. Love / 100 Layer Cake)
12. Knot & Bow Multicolor Jumbo Confetti Balloon ($16): Okay, these might be a little pricey to hand out to every guest, but you only need a couple of these massive balloons to make a seriously fun exit. Entrust a few guests to pop these as you walk down the aisle for the perfect shower of confetti.
13. Lavender Cones: Lavender is a great option for brides wanting to incorporate wildflowers into their decor, plus it smells fabulous as guests toss it. Lavender not your thing? Pick out crushed fresh herbs like mint to stay all-natural and still get a fabulous aroma. (via Julianna Collett Photography / Style Me Pretty)
14. Mini Beach Balls: The key word here is “mini,” because no bride needs a bruise. If you’re having a beach wedding, mini beach balls are a cute send-off that is totally on-theme: Plus, they’re colorful, inexpensive and easy to clean up. (via Stephanie A. Smith Photography / Brides)
16. Flower Petals: Glittery confetti is all well and good, but some venues won’t allow the mess. Opt for natural “confetti” with dried flower petals that are kind to the environment, but still give you a magical send-off. (via Kelly J Photography / Whimsical Wonderland Weddings)
17. Mavora Confetti Toss Bags ($15, set of 25): Set one of these sweet bags on each guest’s chair so they can send you off in a glittering burst of confetti. You could even stamp your initials on each bag for a unique and personalized touch.
18. Paper Airplanes: Whether or not you or your S.O. is a pilot, these paper airplanes are a sweet way to celebrate your future together. They’re a breeze to put together and you can make them in your wedding colors for a picture-perfect send-off. (via Embrace Life Photography)
How would you style your send-off? If you’re looking for more wedding ideas, follow us on Pinterest for tips, inspo and DIY projects.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.