2016 may have been the year of the capsule wardrobe, and we’re pretty convinced that 2017 is going to be the year of the capsule accessories collection. It’s prime time to nix any unworn pieces of jewelry cluttering up your drawer and take a more minimalist approach instead. With a focus on fewer, better things, we narrowed down the number of styles of necklaces you truly need to just five. And best of all, in this case, having less doesn’t have to mean spending more. Most of these gems chime in at under $100 — so shop away.
1. Baublebar Velvet Lariat Choker Necklace ($36): We’re all about this girly update to the velvet chokers that are all the rage RN. Lush, pink-hued velvet and dainty gold tassels will add a boho touch to dresses and tees alike.
2. Forever 21 Bar Pendant Necklace ($6): Simple and understated, this little lariat necklace is the perfect antidote for “I have no idea what to pair with this outfit” moments. Add one to your jewelry collection and you’ll find yourself reaching for it time and time again.
3. Mana Culture Tri Druzy Lariat Necklace ($78): The lariat lends itself quite well to boho styles filled with plunging necklines and carefree silos. Trust us: This druzy gemstone version practically screams “boho goddess.” Toss it over v-neck wrap dresses now and breezy white dresses in the summertime for a festival-inspired look.
4. Gorjana Cayne Crescent Pendant Necklace ($78): Equal parts delicate and edgy, this necklace offers the best of both worlds. Bonus points: Its 26-inch chain makes it oh so easy to layer with shorter necklaces.
5. LEILA Jewelry Shop Monogram Necklace ($25): For anyone who didn’t think a monogram could be cool — this one’s for you. The nameplate necklace offers a modern twist on the preppy cursive monogram necklaces we all rocked back in our college days. (Don’t act like you don’t know.)
6. The Silver Wren Dainty Gemstone Necklace ($28): We’re swooning over the brilliant gems, gilded borders and uneven edges on these beauties. The more of these, the merrier — pick up a couple and mix and match them with longer layers for an effortless and eclectic vibe.
7. Shashi Nikita Choker Necklace ($65): Is there anything more sleek than this choker? We love that you can wear it open-ended or flip that half around to the back of your neck for a more traditional style.
8. Josue Taco Studio Lattice Lace Choker ($8): The lattice lace on this baby is a welcome alternative to tried-and-true choker styles that dominated our ’90s style. Need a trendy touch that is equal parts femme and edgy? This choker is your answer.
9. Forever 21 Chevron Chain Coker Set ($6): YAS! We are very into this layered choker look. Look for contrasting textures or mixed metals to take the look to another level, and make sure the layers are no more than an inch and a half apart.
10. Panacea Beaded Collar Statement Necklace ($46): We can’t help but get warrior princess vibes from this standout stunner, and TBH, we’re kinda feelin’ it. This over a white tee, black jeans and ankle boots? We’re so in.
11. Kendra Scott Gwendolyn Statement Necklace ($150): Um, hello, yes, please! Can you just imagine this head-turner with a strapless dress? SO GOOD. This is definitely a go-to for weddings, formals and, well, basically any moment when you’re really trying to make an entrance.
12. Sole Society Baroque Deco Statement Bib ($65): Decked out with antiqued gold and an art deco style, this sparkler actually feels more rock ‘n’ roll than fancy. Our thoughts? It would SLAY over a graphic tee and dressy pencil skirt.
13. Cocobelle Stone Necklace ($30): If it has a tassel, chances are we’re here for it. This necklace is no exception. The tasseled style feels very “I just got back from an incredible vacation” minus the actual, you know, cost of international travel.
14. 31 Bits Painted Desert Necklace ($54): 31 Bits’ approach to jewelry masters the balance between eclectic and modern. We love how they paired a vibrant beaded necklace with a sleek choker. BRB, copying this whole look right now.
15. Francesca’s Luxe Collection Glass Bead Strand Necklace ($58): A long bead necklace is the unexpected powerhouse of any jewelry collection. It’s surprisingly versatile, from dressing up nine-to-five workwear to adding an extra touch to laid-back jeans and a cotton button-down combo.
Follow us on Pinterest for more wardrobe staples!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.