10 Movies Coming This Fall You Should Be SUPER Excited About
Usually, it’s the summer movies that have us all lining up at the box office, but this year, it seems like the typical “Summer Blockbuster” didn’t really happen. Movies didn’t seem to really hit this year, and with critics basically hating everything that came out (Suicide Squad, we’re looking at you), we’ve honestly been kind of disappointed. Well, lucky for us that fall is coming up fast, and this year, it’s not just all about pumpkin spice. It looks like studios waited to release their best for fall, and we’re super excited to cozy up in the theater and check out these killer titles.
1. The Light Between Oceans: This is definitely going to be a tear-jerker. Starring mega hunk Michael Fassbender and his real life gf Alicia Vikander (they met on set!), this movie is def Oscar bait — and we’re loving every second of the trailer.
2. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story: Sci-Fi is definitely having more than just a moment, and this new Star Wars story looks like it’ll be epic. This is the first story set outside the plot of the movies we all know and takes place between Episode 3 (the last Hayden Christensen one) and Episode 4 (the OG Star Wars movie). Spoiler alert! Not only does this movie have a woman leading the action, but Darth Vader is also coming back.
3. La La Land: Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone singing and dancing? This dramatic musical looks like it’s got everything and then some, and we finally get to see Ryan Gosling singing again after his years on the Micky Mouse Club!
4. Moana: With music by Lin-Manuel Miranda and voice work from Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, this new Disney movie looks awesome. We’re really excited to see Hawaiian folklore come to life, just in time for Christmas.
5. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The world of Harry Potter has landed stateside, and we can hardly contain our excitement! What can we say about this movie that you don’t already know? Coming out in time for Thanksgiving, the Eddie Redmayne movie is probably going to be the biggest one of the year.
6. Loving: We’re living in comparatively progressive times — but not so long ago, it was illegal in the US for black and white people to marry each other. This movie tells the story of the Lovings, an interracial couple who took the fight all the way to the supreme court (and won!). Proof that love can conquer all, if we only open our hearts.
7. Bridget Jones’ Baby: Bridget Jones is having a baby! Bridget Jones has two men that she needs to sort out… again. Could you even imagine having two hunks fighting over you like this? Renée Zellweger is back in her most famous role, and this one looks like it’ll be a great nostalgic ride.
8. Arrival: More Sci-Fi with a strong female lead, but less fantasy and more OMG ALIENS! Amy Adams stars in this movie as an interpreter picked by the government to make first contact with aliens when they arrive on Earth. Scary, serious and intense, this one is for those of us who love suspense.
9. Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk: Based on a best-selling novel of the same name, this movie is told via flashbacks of young war hero named Billy Lynn about the difference between what we believe vs. what actually happens to soldiers in war. This is definitely going to be both a tear-jerker and a must-watch.
10. Moonlight: Every once in a while, an indie movie comes along and becomes the must-see movie of the year. This coming of age story features singer Janelle Monae in her movie debut and looks like it might be the one that surprises the Oscars this year.
What movies are you excited to see this fall? Tell us @BritandCo!
(Featured photo via Warner Bros.)
Pocket doors are so delightful in and of themselves. They appear when you need them, get tucked away when you don't, and make it easy to define rooms while keeping an open floor plan. Add to the pocket door a joyful patterned wallpaper surprise, and you will be sent right into fits of visual jubilation! Or something ;) Today we're sharing two simple and impactful pocket door makeovers that zhuzh up your space in a jiffy.
Anjelika Temple here, co-founder of Brit + Co and proud owner of several pocket doors! When I moved into my first real grown-up house a couple years ago, I knew I wanted to incorporate wallpaper so reached out to our friends at Chasing Paper to see how we might collaborate. It felt like a total lightbulb moment when I realized I could create a surprise pop of pattern on a couple sets of pocket doors.
Not only is it a whimsical way to bring color into a space, but the doors double as picture-perfect backdrops for all your SFH (selfies from home, obvs).
A few pro tips about install:
- Removable wallpaper is miraculously forgiving! You can take it on and off multiple times without it losing integrity (or mucking up your surface).
- I ordered this adhesive wallpaper installation kit with a squeegee and xacto knife and it worked super well. I also recommend a sharp pair of scissors for cutting longer lines.
- This is a two-person job! Get a friend, put on a playlist, and get ready to bond.
- Wild, organic patterns like Tally are great because it's challenging to spot any imperfections in pattern alignment; keep pattern choice in mind if you've got a lot of corners to match up. More geometric patterns and larger shapes leave less room for error (but are awesome in their own right!).
BATHROOM POCKET DOORS
In our primary bathroom, we chose the wallpaper pattern Tally, designed by Kelly Ventura, in White and Navy. In our space, the navy reads as a soft black, which is perfect for the space. It's easy to combine an ever-rotating collection of linens with the Tally pattern.
I love how the white trim becomes the perfect frame around this pocket door piece of art.
My favorite moment in this space is the fact that you actually get a third pop of pattern thanks to our serendipitously placed mirror!
And yes, this one works pretty darn well as a backdrop too ;)
LIVING ROOM DOUBLE DOORS
This set of doors is definitely a focal point of our home. It separates our living room from our primary bedroom which opens onto our backyard. The doors are pretty much always open, but when they're closed we wanted to evoke a fun, nature-inspired vibe. With that in mind, we selected the Lines and Moons pattern by Thimblepress in Green and Brown.
Earth mama vibes up in here! I love how the shapes and colors echo the ferns you see through the windows and the acorn wood details throughout the house.
Love this pattern moment, and xacto-ing out the door handle is def on the oddly satisfying DIY list.
For a pattern lover like me, I love that now I have this instant photo backdrop!
Thanks to Chasing Paper for providing these rolls of pure pattern amazingness. Head to chasingpaper.com to find our own favorites and start adding patterns to your home!
(Wallpaper wingwoman: Kayla Haykin; Photography: Kurt Andre)