From wintery first dates to your first Christmas with your S.O.’s family, the holiday season can be a magical time for falling in love. But coming up with creative date night ideas that don’t involve getting frostbite? That’s a different story. Instead of braving the cold (even though we love an excuse to bring out our cute cold weather essentials), we’re planning our winter dates inside for the foreseeable future. Here are 11 creative date night ideas that are perfect for when the weather outside is, indeed, frightful.
1. Attend an amateur holiday concert. Band geek or not, nothing gets us in the holiday spirit like going to a cheesy Christmas sing-a-long. Pack up your favorite snacks and get cozy while listening to the season’s hottest tunes.
2. Host your own fake blackout. What would happen if you and your boo had a spontaneous power outage? That’s right, it’s time to put away those phones. This night calls for creepy ghost stories, makeshift recipes and long chats with a little bit of snuggling on the side.
3. Hit the mall and take a selfie with Santa. Holiday shopping can be super stressful, but this trip to the mall doesn’t have to be. Grab a warm cup of hot cocoa, preferably in an adorable Starbucks holiday cup, and people-watch to your heart’s content. Don’t forget to get a pic with Santa for a cheap(ish) date night keepsake.
4. Take an indoor skydiving class. If you and your sweetie are looking for something a little more adventurous, try taking an indoor skydiving class. Just make sure that your S.O. isn’t afraid of heights first.
5. Become your own mixologists. There’s nothing wrong with having a date night at home, but that doesn’t mean you should skip out on planning a fun activity. Instead of chilling in your PJs, get dressed to the nines and try your hand at creating festive cocktails. We’re partial to boozy hot chocolate and mistletoe jello shots!
6. Cuddle up at the ballet. If you still have time to score tickets to your local ballet — The Nutcracker plays just about everywhere during the holidays — do it. Not only will your sweetheart love a night on the town, but you might also get a cute Christmas Instagram shot in your fancy date night attire.
7. Up your “Netflix and chill” game with a blanket fort and foodie challenge. This one requires a little more prep than your classic living room date night. The challenge is to eat your way around the world (AKA five countries, five courses) and build yourself a DIY hostel — blanket forts will do — for the cultural staycation of your dreams.
8. Try a meal experience. Going out for dinner is a tried-and-true date night staple. But instead of hitting up Chipotle, try choosing a restaurant that’s a little more unique. Whether you decide to try a comedy club or conveyor belt sushi, dinner and a show is always a great option.
9. Disney-fy your date night with an evening fit for a beauty and a beast. If you’re just as excited as we are for the new live-action Beauty and the Beast, use that inspiration to host a romantic Disney date? From cooking a beautiful Parisian dinner to reading aloud by the fire, go all in with this dinner party for two.
10. Go to an art-house flick. If going to the latest superhero movie doesn’t excite your partner, why not try going to an indie movie instead? It might be a little out of your comfort zone, but having your sweetie beside you will definitely make it worth the frantic subtitle reading.
11. Have a brainstorming sesh. If you still can’t decide on a creative idea in time for your date night, why not invite your S.O. over to brainstorm the wildest date night ideas you can dream up? With a little wine and a few apps, you’ll be surprised by how fun getting your creative juices flowing can be. Plus it’ll let you get a peek into your partner’s innermost date night desires.
Do you have a chilly date night idea that you think we’d love? Tweet us @BritandCo!
(Featured photo via Getty)