For many of us, 2016 was a doozy, but we here at Brit + Co are ready to hit refresh in 2017! Follow our Hit Refresh series through January for new ideas, hacks and skills that will help you achieve (and maintain!) those New Year’s resolutions.
If one of the goals you have for 2017 includes keeping your home clean, we feel ya. Sometimes, the hustle and bustle of life gets to us, and before we know it, we’re left with a mess of a house. Luckily, we found a few organizational hacks to take tidying up your home to the next level. Whether you’re using ordinary items in unexpected ways or maximizing space in a too-small closet, we’ve thought of it all. Read on and let these organizational methods inspire you to move toward a clutter-free 2017!
1. Organize with fabric bins. It doesn’t matter whether you have an open or closed closet. Optimize your closet space by putting everything from socks to underwear to accessories in fabric bins on the floor. (via Brit + Co)
2. Use this space-efficient hanger hack. Maximize closet space by hanging multiple hangers onto a linked chain. Thanks to this vertical DIY Hanger Hack, you can keep both your teeny closet and *all* your favorite wardrobe pieces. (via Brit + Co)
3. Color-coordinate for day-of styling. Organize your wardrobe by color for a seriously pretty closet. Aside from your closet’s aesthetically pleasing presentation, you’ll be able to find what you’re looking for quicker than ever. (via Brit + Co)
4. Invest in a wall caddy. Store everything from pens and pencils to pom-poms and more with a wall caddy that you can buy or DIY. This DIY triangular wall caddy can add playful geometry to your space for under $10. (via Brit + Co)
5. Display New Buys: Get the most out of your new finds by displaying them separately on wall hooks. Use this same idea to easily plan tomorrow’s outfit, to save time from getting lost in your abyss of a closet! (via Brit + Co)
6. Make day-of-the-week foam markers. Make sure you’re dressed for success *every day* by planning your outfits of the week ahead of time. Whip up these DIY day-of-the-week markers out of craft foam and Sharpie and plan away! (via Brit + Co)
7. Try this IKEA bed slats organizational hack. No need to install shelves or put boxes together with this DIY IKEA Storage Hack. Simply use screws to hold IKEA bed slats in place and hang a variety of over-the-door hooks to create organized storage. (via Brit + Co)
8. Install adhesive hooks. Peel and stick adhesive hooks to your wall or the side of your dresser for additional accessory storage. Designate individual hooks for certain accessories or occasions, whether you’re working exclusively with jewelry or scarves. (via Brit + Co)
9. Hack a paper towel holder to display bangles. Bangles can be a bit of a hassle to store. They don’t always fit in jewelry boxes and are too big to store more than a couple on jewelry dishes. Instead, keep them in check with a paper towel holder. (via Brit + Co)
10. Upcycle used containers into organizers. Breathe new life into spice containers or tea tins by turning them into these DIY Container Magnets. Either place a magnet inside the back of an empty tin or stick an adhesive magnet on the outside. (via Martha Stewart)
11. Organize accessories with drawer dividers. No more rummaging through disorganized drawers. Once you’ve put everything in its place within the dividers, just remember to keep it that way! (via Kate La Vie)
12. Organize undergarments with drawer dividers. Prior to organizing your undergarments within the drawer, sort out the ones you never wear. Then sort by type or style by using a drawer divider or plastic tubs, zipper bags or small baskets. (via eHow)
13. Display heels on picture-rail molding. Pretty as heels may be, they can be an eyesore when strewn about the floor of your closet. Restore order by lining the walls of your walk-in closet or dressing area with picture-rail molding. Touch up with paint and hang those shoes! (via Martha Stewart)
14. Create cohesive storage solutions. Tidy up the inside of your cabinets with a set of similar or same containers. Slap on these free Printable Pantry Labels and you’re all set for a clean and cohesive look. (via The Creativity Exchange)
15. Store tweezers on a magnetic strip. If you don’t already have a separate compartment for your tweezers and nail clippers, this storage hack is a pretty good alternative. Just attach a magnetic strip to your bathroom wall with adhesive and you’ll never have to worry about losing your grooming kit ever again. (via Brit + Co)
16. Hack a shoe organizer for storage. You won’t need to worry about trying to detangle your beauty gadgets from one another anymore. Just use an over-the-door shoe organizer to neatly sort your various beauty goodies so they’ll be ready-to-use every time! (via Brit + Co)
17. Add under-the-bed storage. Make under-the-bed storage bins by attaching wheels to a wooden box, a drawer or a wine crate. Once finished with your DIY closet on wheels, you’ll be left with a creative storage option that utilizes every inch of space. (via Martha Stewart)
18. Use bungee cords to organize accessories. Looking for an uber easy hack that streamlines that mess of an accessory collection? Cue this DIY wooden bungee hack. Use bungee cords, hobby boards and wood stain to recreate this handy organizer that’s perfect for hanging inside your closet. (via Brit + Co)
How will you organize your space? Follow us on Pinterest for more ways to tidy up!