8 Totally Relatable Things Celebs Have Said About Relationships
Celebrity relationships are constantly under the microscope. While it’s undoubtedly tough to deal with all the scrutiny, they also become especially clued-in to what’s worth fighting for and what’s not. When celebs get together, it’s super exciting, but when they go through a breakup, it’s even worse than what other people go through because everyone knows about it — just look at the drama surrounding recently uncoupled celebs like T-Swift and Calvin Harris, Demi and Wilmer and Chloe and Brooklyn. Luckily for us regular people, many celebs use their platforms to help others understand that relationships aren’t always what they look like from the outside and that ultimately only you know what’s best for you. Here, find eight insightful quotes on love from some of our favorite famous women.
1. Kristen Bell on Continual Relationship Maintenance: According to Kristen, even relationships that inspire #couplegoals need regular maintenance. “I thought I had this life thing down pat when I met Dax. I didn’t realize that I needed a much bigger toolbox to have confrontations and disagreements with people.” She continued, “You do better in the gym with a trainer; you don’t figure out how to cook without reading a recipe. Therapy is not something to be embarrassed about.”
2. Rihanna on Getting Over Breakups: Everyone knows a relationship’s ending is tough stuff. In an interview, Rihanna described what it was like to finally get over Chris Brown: “I remember I was in New York at the Trump Hotel and I woke up and I just knew I was over it. It was a different day. I felt different. I didn’t feel lonely,” she recalls. “I felt like I wanted to get up and be in the world. That was a great, great feeling.” If you need a little reminder that there’s light at the end of the breakup tunnel, Rihanna is your girl.
3. Anna Faris on Finding Someone That Accepts You : When speaking about her husband, mega-hunk Chris Pratt, Anna said: “He’s humble, and he’s a great leader, and he’s an incredible father and a great husband. And I feel like, after years of dating people that weren’t the best for me, I found somebody who’s love I could really accept.” Ah, so that’s how you know when the right one comes along.
4. Miley Cyrus on Loving Yourself: Miley cited some much-needed alone time as the reason for her temporary break from fiancé Liam Hemsworth. “I was so scared of ever being alone, and I think, conquering that fear, this year, was actually bigger than any other transition that I had, this entire year. I don’t ever want to have to need someone again, where you feel like, without them, you can’t be yourself.” Loving yourself is more important than any romantic relationship, for reals.
5. Blake Lively on Being BFFS With Bae: When telling the story of why she fell for her now-husband Ryan Reynolds, Blake said: “I knew he would always be my best friend for my whole life. That was the biggest thing to me. I’d never known anything like the friendship that I had with him. I could like him as much as I loved him.” Being BFFs with your S.O. is certainly a major plus.
6. Jada Pinkett Smith on Trust: In an interview about her relationship with Will Smith, the actress said: “You’ve gotta trust who you’re with. And at the end of the day, right, I’m not here to be anybody’s watcher. I’m not his watcher. He’s a grown man.” We couldn’t agree more. Trust is definitely priority numero uno.
7. Gwyneth Paltrow on Putting Family First: Getting divorced probably isn’t ever anticipated at the beginning of a marriage, but if it happens, Paltrow has some amazing insight into how to make the most of it. “Well, the ideal is to stay married,” she told Glamour. “But if you can’t stay married, wouldn’t the ideal be that you could still be a family and you could put aside your own stuff long enough to explore — what is this new family and who am I in it? And Chris is a great ex-husband ’cause he’s a very, very willing partner in how to do that. We’re constantly putting aside our own stuff and trying to reimagine something that we don’t personally have an example for.”
8. Jenna Dewan Tatum on Balance: Jenna knows that you can’t be perfect all the time, which is hard when the spotlight is always on you. “Having a job and being married and having a crazy busy life, I try and balance as much as I can,” she said. “I do the best I can. Some days I’m not that great at it, some days I’m better, but I have found — and it’s so true, a lot of people will say that — that over time, you really have to take time for yourself, and it’s the hardest thing for me to do because I [think], ‘There’s so many other things I should be doing, there’s other people to be taking care of.'” In the end, the best we can do should be more than enough, right?!
Do you have a fave celeb love quote? Tweet it to us @BritandCo!