Was it the promise of Lisa Frank and Fraggle Rock that brought you here? Or the unbelievably awesome Carlton sweatshirt? Whatever it was, we’re glad you’re here. It’s time to dive deep into the rabbit hole of the ’90s, from Ren & Stimpy to Nirvana to Ice Cube, and with lots of pizza parties in between.
The best part of all of this is that the ’90s have been back in style for a year or two now, so it’s actually pretty easy to find kewl smiley face backpacks, yin yang sweaters, and plaid crop tops. Now, cue up this awesome ’90s playlist and let’s do this thing!
1. Jesse Spano I’m So Excited ($18): We’ll kick it off with a classic. This awesome t-shirt depicts that pierced-into-our-memories scene from Saved by the Bell, when overachiever Jesse Spano took caffeine pills in order to study for the SATs, get into Stanford, and produce a music video all at the same time. #imsoscared
3. ’90s Heart Throb Tee ($25): A guy that can transition smoothly from ’80s heartthrob to ’90s one will make us swoon every time.
4. Fraggle Rock Pint Glass ($2 for $12): Dance your cares away, work is for another day!
5. Vintage Babysitter and Fire Chief Troll Dolls ($12 and $10): Confession: I still have a plastic box filled with trolls that I collected in the ’90s. (Related: This will not be the only weird thing you learn about me in this roundup.)
6. ’90s Thing Tee ($22): How ’90s are oversized tees?!
7. Goosebumps #57: My Best Friend is Invisible ($6): Get your face close to your screen for this one. Look at the expression on that cat’s face!
8. Lisa Frank iPhone Cases ($36): Gotta give props to our girl Lisa.
9. Dr. Martens Boots ($130): We’re on the fence about the whole Doc Martens being back in style thing, but I’m pretty psyched I never got rid of my purple patent leather boots. Air wair for life!
10. Bugs & Taz Throwback Sweatshirt ($49): Until seeing this amazing sweatshirt, we had totally forgotten about the Looney Toons gangster phase. Kind of makes us want to watch Space Jam.
11. Sweet Valley Twins, No. 1: Best Friends ($4): Remember Sweet Valley? Before it was a TV show and got all weird and scandalous?
12. Smiley Cutoffs ($77): Boom. The first smiley face on this list. And you could totally DIY these.
13. Fresh Prince 5 Panel Bike Hat ($18): Now this is a story about the best hat ever.
14. Paper Jam Press ($30): All of the prints on Paper Jam Press are pretty much… our jam!
15. Street Fighter Necklace ($22): We kind of forgot how awesome the Street Fighter logo was, especially when recreated as a blinged out necklace.
16. Zomg Yin Yang Platform Sneaker ($65): Next confession: I had not one but two pairs of platform sneakers in the ’90s — Airwalk and Skechers. Might need to add to the collection…
17. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Shirt ($60): There’s something rather Franco-esque about this dude, and this button-down is fly.
20. Pizza Party Button ($2): Make like those teenage turtles and turn every day into a pizza party. Cowabunga duuuude.
21. Ren & Stimpy Tee ($28): Quieeeet you iiiiiidiottttt!
22. Nirvana Nevermind LP Box Set ($80): For folks who like to keep it classic, give this collector’s edition box set of a truly iconic ’90s album.
23. Stussy YO! MTV Raps T-Shirts ($36): Stussy and MTV Raps? I think my brain just exploded.
24. Clarissa Explains It All on Amazon Instant Video ($2 per episode): Best discovery while curating this roundup? Finding out that Clarissa Explains It All is on Amazon instant!!
25. Rad Plaid Crop Blouse ($68): Only in the ’90s could you turn a baggy flannel into a crop top and still look hot. Liv Tyler’s character in Empire Records would definitely approve.
26. Fifty Fashion Looks That Changed the 1990s ($20): Take a walk down memory lane with this glossy fashion tome.
27. Let’s Paint the ’90s! ($12): We need to order this book like… yesterday! Color in Vanilla Ice, the Olsen Twins, Dennis Rodman, and other favorites from the ’90s.
28. Yin Yang Knit ($65): We know it’s cruel to include something that is currently out of stock, but we’re crossing our fingers that Nasty Gal brings this frock back.
29. Baby-Sitters Club: Mary Anne’s Bad Luck ($3): When is Mary Anne’s bad luck going to end!?
30. Smiley Face Crop Tank ($38): I have to be honest. I’ve routinely questioned the return of the crop top… until seeing this incredible ’90s mashup.
32. Ugh! As If! ($14): Cher is not impressed.
33. Bonne Bell Dr. Pepper Lip Smackers Trio ($9): Need. These. Now!
34. Teenage Power Couple Pencils ($8): Wait, what? These are the best pencils we’ve ever seen. Now, if only we used pencils on a regular basis…
37. 1990s Crop Top ($13): More crop tops yo! This one has the added bonus of cutoff sleeves!
38. Vintage Caboodles Case ($10): Technically, Caboodles gained popularity at first in the ’80s. But, most ’90s girls had at least one of those — I actually still have one in my mom’s basement filled with rocks and minerals purchased at Natural Wonders.
39. Bayside Tigers Off-the-Shoulder Sweatshirt ($28): Gooooo Tigers!
40. Central Perk Mug ($15): One word for you: Gunther.
41. Checked Velvet Skater Dress ($64): The only thing that would make this dress more ’90s would be if the velvet was crushed.
42. Carlton Sweatshirt ($60): I may have just made this sweatshirt my desktop background.
43. Cowabunga! Pint Glass ($2 for $12): Party like the original partying turtles with this cheeky pint glass.
44. Boy Meets World: The Complete Series ($54): Cory, Topanga, Shawn, Angela, Eric, and… FEENY! Go old school with your next weekend TV-watching binge.
46. Jock Jams CD ($40): Pump up the jam. Just do it.
47. Nickelodeon Gak ($10): Stretch it, bounce it, bubble it, and make it make fart noises!
48. Beavis and Butthead Skirt ($33): This is the closest Beavis and Butthead have ever been to a hot girl.
49. Smiley Face Backpack ($20): Well at least I wouldn’t skin a collie to make my backpack.
50. Mixtape Table ($4,950): And finally, a serious splurge. We’ve been obsessing over this Mixtape table for well over a year, and we still dream of having it here at Brit + Co. In the words of Wayne: It will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine.
What’s your favorite item on this list? What other ’90s throwback items should we add to it? Talk to us in the comments below.