As Seen on ‘Live With Kelly and Ryan’: My Favorite Hacks for Prepping Holiday Food
My friends and family are heading over to our house this season and I'm already starting to think about what to make and how to prepare for the festive day less than two weeks away! I'm big on hosting, as y'all know, so I've picked up a few hacks along the way to make holiday food prep easy and me breezy leading into the holiday.
I recently shared my favorite holiday prep hacks with my friends on Live With Kelly and Ryan. Check out the segment here, then scroll on for a recap of each project!
1. Pull out your favorite serving bowls a few days before to make sure you have everything you need. Then label them with the foods you'll serve ahead of time to save time digging for the right bowl day of. from Fresh Direct blog
2. Tape up recipes at eye level (on cabinets, for example) so that they're in clear view and you don't have to wash your hands a million times.
3. Think beyond the fork and look for other utensils, like tongs or a wine cork, around your kitchen for creative ways to make decorative pie edges. from Bakepedia
4. Whether you're ready to bake your first pie or your 30th this simple trick will help avoid burnt crusts. Wrap pie edges in foil to let the heart of the pie bake while protecting the edges. from Pillsbury
5. Make personal mini pies using mason jar lids as the pan. You could also make smaller hand pies using a cookie cutter or a cupcake pan. from Lovely Little Kitchen
6. Satisfy all pie lovers with a 4-in-1 sheet pan pie. from Food Network
7. Make and freeze your pie before so that all you have to do is bake it the day of. This also prevents a saggy crust. from Brit + Co
MAIN MEAL PREP
8. Add a few pinches of baking soda to your mashed potatoes. When mixed with an ingredient like buttermilk, it creates carbon dioxide gas bubbles for extra fluffy potatoes! from NY Times
9. Make a DIY splash guard next time you use a hand mixer using a paper plate! Simply punch a couple holes near the center of your plate, pull the beaters through the holes and then attach them to your mixer.
10. Use a cooler to brine your turkey so that it doesn't take up your entire fridge. from A Beautiful Mess
11. On the flip side, keep side dishes warm in an insulated cooler.
12. Use a foil ring to elevate your turkey while roasting. This creates even heat and no sogginess at the bottom. from Pop Sugar
13. Also: if any parts of your turkey start burning, cover them with foil.
Use a thermos to keep your gravy warm before serving. from Food Network
- 21 Perfect Christmas Dinner Recipe Ideas from Appetizers to ... ›
- 54 Easy Holiday Dinner Party Recipes for the Lazy Chef - Brit + Co ›
- Holiday Hack: Turn Classic Cookies into Cookie Christmas Trees ... ›
- Brit's Hosting and Cleanup Hacks for the Holidays - Brit + Co ›
- 18 Holiday Kitchen Hacks to Get Dinner on the Table Fast - Brit + Co ›
Hi, I'm Brit, the founder and CEO of Brit + Co. I'm a young mom of two, tech nerd and design-inclined lady who has a zillion hobbies and curious about... just about everything! My mission from the beginning has been to unlock women's creativity and courage to try new things so that they can find the path to their true passions.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)