13 Ways You Never Thought to Eat an Avocado
When the first human picked up an avocado, we guarantee that person just said, “rock,” and then threw it on the ground. Thankfully, some smarty-pants ancestor realized that ugly black rock was a delightful, nutrient-packed fruit, or we’d never have experienced that thrill of cutting one open: Did I let it ripen too long? Will it be 90% pit? Will it be so, so, SO awesome on top of those nachos? Let’s find out.
1. Dark Chocolate Avocado Mousse With Coconut Caramelized Bananas: Yeah, um, we just can’t. Get that little cup of wizardry here now. (via Half Baked Harvest)
2. Baked Eggs in Avocado: You are just 20 minutes away from an edible little breakfast bowl that’s fancy enough to serve to guests but simple enough to eat three times daily when the only thing in your kitchen is eggs and avocados. (via FitSugar)
10. Poppyseed Avocado Cake: As a rule, cake is pretty much butter-centric. However, this effective hack replaces the butter with avocado (in both the cake and icing) without skipping a beat. The pretty pastel green color is a bonus! (via Food Me Over)
11. Shrimp Avocado Salad: No need to wait until the snow melts to enjoy this simple and versatile summer dish. Throw it on a bed of greens, chop it up finely for a seafood salsa or spoon onto crostini for a party app. (via Add a Pinch)
13. Avocado Toast: Not so much a recipe as it is the BEST SNACK IN THE LAND. Don’t overthink it, guys. Just sprinkle on the sea salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper, and eat that shizz up. (via Apples and Onions)
How are you eating this delicious little rock? Let us know in the comments!
Back in January, we introduced you to a feel-good cause to inspire your New Year's resolution: a walking challenge to help raise funds for the amazing cancer fighters at The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I took part in the challenge with the Brit + Co team and ended up walking 105+ miles in January — it was awesome.
This spring, there's a new challenge on the horizon, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Big Climb. The ask: On May 15, 2021, you can step up to take cancer down by committing to climb 1,311 steps, walking 3.2 miles, or doing 440 chair step-ups at home as part of the Big Climb. If you need some motivation to bring movement back into your daily routine — look no further!
As always, it's free to sign up, but climbers are encouraged to set a fundraising goal to help beat cancer. We'll be organizing another Brit + Co team to step up, and I hope you'll join us too! Keep scrolling for a peek at where I'll be completing the challenge in my Los Angeles neighborhood around the hidden Silver Lake Stairs. Happy climbing!
Never underestimate the power of an accountability buddy! I asked my in-laws, my partner, and a few friends to join me so we can keep each other motivated and accountable in completing the challenge — virtual high-fives all around! Also, my dog Fox is a great climber, too.
An aesthetically pleasing backdrop is a huge motivator for me! I'm fortunate to have all sorts of painted steps around my neighborhood to keep the challenge interesting, but you can also keep cool inside with at-home chair step-ups.
Don't forget to share your progress on social — #BigClimb!
Feel free to break the challenge up if you need to by tackling half the distance in the AM and half at sunset. Here's me 1,311 steps later and ready for a break — but, think I earned this one!