The One Essential That Shouldn’t Be Missing from Your Bathroom
Life is busy and life is messy. We’ll be the first to acknowledge that it can be hard to be environmentally conscious when we have so much other stuff to worry about. But while there are plenty of things that we can’t control, there’s one thing we do know: We can positively impact the environmental future of our planet with simple and quick daily actions that don’t encroach on our busy days. We’re thrilled to team up with Care To Recycle®, a program by Johnson & Johnson Consumer Inc., which shows us how simple it is to care for the planet like we care for our families.
So, where to begin? Turns out, lots of bathroom products can be recycled — like shampoo bottles, mouthwash bottles, and toilet paper rolls, to name a few. So, why aren’t we doing so? News flash, the obvious reasons (“The trash bin is right there,” and “I’d have to rinse the bottle first,” etc.) don’t measure up to the negative impact we’re making on our one and only home base. Here’s the simple solution: Put a recycling bin in the bathroom! This one decision will make a difference for the planet without complicating your busy lifestyle.
Y’all, it’s *this* easy to make a difference.
Psst: Learn how to get a free bathroom recycling bin with qualifying purchase at cvs.com/caretorecycle.
Like any healthy practice, the trick to sticking with it is to make it an easy habit. That’s where we come in! We’ve created some nifty (and may we say, adorable) printables to hang above our brand new baño recycling bin to make recycling a breeze for us and our kiddos.
Seriously, how cute are these? Click the links below to download.
Scroll on to read three persuasive reasons to add a recycling bin to your bathroom, if we haven’t convinced you already :)
3 REASONS YOU NEED A RECYCLING BIN IN YOUR BATHROOM
1.It’s a teaching moment for the kiddos. Your little ones can learn the yes’s and no’s of recycling, and know they’re being a big help with their simple action. Win, win!
2.You’re doing Mother Earth a favor. You guys, the amount of plastic we throw away each year is enough to circle the earth FOUR times. That’s plastic alone! Tons of these plastics can actually be recycled. By taking care of our planet now, we’re ensuring our kids will inherit a healthy place to live. In a way, we’re actually helping your children, grandchildren, and generations to come.
3. It’s one less chore for you. We all know this: The simpler it is to do something, the more likely we are to do it. If you’re already on top of recycling in the home (high five!), you should still consider adding a bin to your bathroom to minimize the work. No more carting those recyclables all the way to the kitchen bin!
Time to get your ducks in a row and start recycling ;)
1. When you throw away recyclable plastic, it can take 100 to 400 years for it to break down.
2. Plastics with “#1” or “#2” printed on them can be recycled.
3. Many everyday items are made from recycled items. Mouthwash bottles can be turned into fleece jackets, lotion bottles can be turned into flower pots, and floss containers can be turned into bike racks. How cool is that?
4. The energy saved by recycling one plastic shampoo bottle could power a computer for 25 minutes. (Whoa!)
5. Many places will recycle incandescent, CFL, and LED light bulbs. Find your local recycling center here; they’ll know what to do with them :)
6. Some broken bathroom electronics are actually considered scrap metal. That means broken hair dryers, curling irons, and other tools can be dropped off at a scrap metal recycling center instead of going into landfill. Find your local scrap metal recycling center here.
Will you add a recycling bin to your bathroom? We’d love to hear from you. Let us know on Twitter @BritandCo.
Production + Styling: Maddie Bachelder
Design: Marisa Kumtong
Photography: Kurt Andre + Chris Andre