Turn a Long Sleeve Tee into a Flirty Boho Top
Learning basic sewing skills is such a great, priceless thing to do. Once you understand how to use your sewing machine, a whole new world of possibilities opens up. In the last few weeks, we showed how to update an Old Navy dress, how to sew a French girl-inspired tee and even how to make a dress out of a pillowcase! Today we’re here to celebrate National Sewing Day in the best possible way: DIYing something new of course! Are you ready to transform your old basic tee into this fall staple piece? Then scroll on the tutorial below and get ready to make this trendy bell sleeve top.
Materials and Tools:
- sewing machine
- fabric scissors
- old tee
- fabric scrap (on the larger side)
- matching thread
- tailor’s chalk
1. Wear your plain tee and use a couple of pins to mark the area under your elbow.
2. Fold your fabric in half and put your tee sleeve on top of the fabric as shown below. Use the tailor’s chalk to trace the outline.
3. Measure four inches from the bottom left edge and mark that spot. Then trace a line from that spot to the upper left edge.
4. Cut out the bell sleeve and sew all along the left edge.
5. Fold and pin the bottom edge, then sew your hem in place.
6. Take your old tee and cut out the bottom part of the sleeves.
7. Match up the bell sleeve and the tee sleeve together as shown below, then pin all the way around and sew.
8. Repeat with the other sleeve.
First, wear your old long sleeve tee and use a couple of pins to mark the area under your elbow. Then fold your fabric scrap in half and put your tee sleeve on top of the fabric as shown above. Take the tailor’s chalk (or a washable marker) and use it to trace the sleeve outline. At this point, measure four inches from the bottom left edge and mark that spot. Then trace a line from that spot to the upper left edge. You should now have a bell sleeve pattern :) Next cut out the bell sleeve and sew along the left edge as shown in the picture below.
Fold and pin the bottom edge of the bell sleeve and sew to create a crisp edge. Next take your old tee and cut out the bottom part of the sleeves (use the pins as reference). Lastly, match up the bell sleeve and the tee sleeve, pin all the way around and sew. Repeat with the other sleeve and you’re done!
Pair the bell sleeve shirt with your favorite high-waisted skirt and a wide floppy hat for the perfect boho look, or style them with sleek joggers for an athleisure look that doesn’t mess around.
Are you going to DIY this top? Share some pictures on Instagram with the hashtag #britstagram.