5 Best Apps of the Week: A Hack for Free WiFi When You Need It Most + More!
Free WiFi, you say? I dd say that. One of today’s best apps of the week is coming at you hot and ready to hook you up during your next long layover with an actual connection. And discounts. Don’t stop reading to book that end of summer vacay just yet — keep scrolling for the best in apps from a Shazam for fashion to your own personal smartphone bodyguard.
1. PinTasking: An only-for-Android app that might make the iPhone users among us jealous, PinTasking recently came out of beta to make multitasking on your Droid way better. And kind of cute. Nope, this isn’t a new third-party app that combines Pinterest and productivity tools, this add-on allows you to pin your favorite apps and shortcuts to the side and bottom of your screen so that you can easily access them whenever you need them.
2. FLIO: Long layovers have met their dream app in the form of this sneaky download that annihilates the need to sign into WiFi in airports, skipping right to the step of a free connection. They also throw in the added bonus of info about the city you’re in and even discounts for food and duty-free goodies.
DL It: Free on iOS
3. Square Appointments: Dear all makers, indie sellers of any/everything, hair and makeup artists and bars that are cash only, if you haven’t yet gotten Square, it would be awesome if you did. The newest extension speaks to small business owners and individuals by providing a dashboard where clients can book online services and receive appointment reminders. The first wave of reviews from Square users prove there are some kinks to be worked out and some user needs to answer, but this addition to the popular app could (eventually) be a crucial step for setting up your own biz.
DL It: Free on iOS
4. LikeThat Style: Like Shazam for fashion (I’m never above a good app elevator pitch), this new pony in that particular race is LikeThatStyle, an app that helps you find said style you like. Snap a picture and the app explores similar styles across the web, hooking you up with options for your style Pinterest boards or your IRL closet.
5. Companion: “Text me when you get home” is a common sign off among friends after a night out, even if you regularly fall asleep before you send that dancing girl emoji/had so much fun tonight, girl assurance. In its second version but buzzy in the last couple weeks thanks to back to school, Companion is a simple app that wants to make sure you never walk home alone again by signaling to selected contacts that you’re okay. Plug in your destination, pick your people and the app will ask you if you’re okay along the way. If you don’t respond your “Companion” gets a heads up. If you need more than best friend backup, there’s also a direct line to the police. While we wouldn’t necessarily recommend walking around with your smartphone out if you already feel unsafe, this is at least a much better option than Spotify.
What was the last app you downloaded? Share below!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)