Best of 2013: 13 Pimped Out Projects for Parties
Party time, excellent! 2013 was a year filled with celebrations, weddings, birthday parties, and, of course, one epic Halloween bash. To make all this good stuff happen, we busted out our gold spray paint, glue guns, and scissors to create tons of festive party decor. Here are our favorite creations from this past year.
1. Fringe Photo Backdrop: We’ll kick it off with a super colorful number. Though this is definitely a time-consuming craft, it’s an easy one and packs a serious punch. Plus, you can fold it up and save as a backdrop for future parties.
2. Gold Animal Swizzle Sticks: Would you like a… gold dinosaur with that? ;)
3. Faux Polaroid Photo Garland: Photos make great decor, and photos from past parties (or party photo booths) are a particularly awesome move. We created this faux Polaroid garland from our Halloween party photo booth.
4. Washi Straws: We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again: when in doubt, just washi it.
5. Glow-in-the-Dark Tablescape: The ’90s called. They want their dayglo back.
6. Chic Centerpiece + Storage in One: Created as part of a partnernship with Target, this gilded basket works as both a centerpiece and as a storage basket to keep all of your party decor neat and tidy. Gotta love a twofer!
7. Colorful Paper Rosette Backdrop: The more backdrops, the merrier around these parts. This one has been kicking around in our conference room for months now, and keeps us at the ready for an impromptu photo shoot.
8. Fabric Photo Pennant Banner: Another photo banner? Yeah, why not. For this one, we printed a whole bunch of photos from our fringe backdrop on iron-on transfer paper, then ironed them onto fabric to create this colorful (and indestructible!) banner.
9. Wedding Day Emergency Kits: Planning a wedding? Then you’ll want to arm your bridesmaids and groomsmen with everything they (read: you) could possibly need on the big day.
10. Polka Dot Napkins + Party Bags: We created these to go along with our sprinkle-covered popcorn. Simply use gold paint and pencil erasers to create your dots.
11. Ribbon Tassel Party Lights: Trick out your party lights by adding colorful ribbons in the form of tassels. So fun and easy to customize for any color palette.
12. Turn Lockets into Wine Charms: Looking for a new take on the wine charm? You can turn old lockets into charms in just two simple steps. (Pro tip: Don’t have a pile of lockets at the ready? We picked ours up at H&M for less than $5 a pop.)
13. Balloon-Dipped Mason Jars: And finally, the DIY trick that keeps on giving. Take any number of colors, find corresponding balloons, cut ’em up and stretch them over jars to create a temporary color-dipped look.
What are your go-to party DIY projects? Talk to us in the comments below.