The 7 Best Things to Buy This Month
Summer brings with it an entirely new lifestyle — outdoor activities, great vacations, and even its own set of beauty trends (remember last year’s must-try messy buns?) — and it all starts later this month with Memorial Day weekend. Maybe you have a fabulous trip planned or simply an extended period of kicking back by the pool in mind, but who says MDW is only for sunning? It’s also a great time for bargain shopping, and the rest of the month isn’t short on good deals either. Keep reading for the inside scoop (ice cream scoop, anyone?) on what items to buy for great prices in May.
1. BBQ Supplies: Sun’s out, bun’s out… hamburger and hot dog buns, of course (what did you think we were talking about?)! It’s time to break out your favorite cookout recipes — and to consider investing in a new grill that will take you and your kabob-loving friends through the rest of the summer fully fed and happy. Retailers know that BBQ season is upon us, so look for great deals on grills, tongs, and other outdoor cooking essentials this month (especially over Memorial Day weekend!).
2. Sports Apparel: Get ready for all of your summer athletic pursuits (or maybe just being a really good fan) by checking out deals on sporty clothes and gear. The prices should be coming down in anticipation of all those friendly games of kickball and dodgeball that you have on the calendar.
3. Berries: Your favorite berries are probably available year-round in the local grocery store, but outside of the late spring and summer, you may have noticed that they’re flavorless and expensive (lame combination, right?). Berries aren’t actually in season until late spring, which means that May is the perfect time to stock up for all the pie-baking and healthy snacking that we know you have scheduled into your summer. Starting this month, strawberries, blueberries, and more will be way tastier and more reasonably priced.
4. Chips + Salsa: Between Cinco de Mayo and Memorial Day fiestas, May is prime time for chips and salsa — and supermarkets know it! Now is the perfect opportunity to check out the snack aisle for awesome deals on your favorite party snack. A little smart shopping this month will ensure that you’re ready and waiting for salsa cravings and last-minute guests from now ’til Labor Day!
5. Refrigerators: Like President’s Day, Memorial Day weekend is typically a great time to shop for big ticket items, since many major stores will be slashing prices for huge sales in celebration of the long weekend. If you’re in the market for a new fridge, check out big box stores late in the month to see how low those deals can go. You’ll be all ready to keep your favorite summer treats chilly in the hot temperatures.
6. Strollers: Naturally, it’s tougher to time the purchase of a stroller based on when you can get the best price. When a baby needs a stroller, a baby needs a stroller! That being said, if your little ones are ready for an upgrade on their wheels or you have a friend expecting a bundle of joy later this year, it may be worthwhile to shop for deals in May. You may find strollers marked down as part of larger “warm weather” sales. The next ideal buying window for all things baby won’t come around again until November.
7. Sunscreen: One thing that no one wants to experience this summer is a nasty sunburn — or worse, lasting and dangerous sun damage. You’ll find that your favorite SPF manufacturers and retailers will likely be running sales this month, especially leading up to Memorial Day, so grab a bottle (or 10!) now. You can’t blame a high price tag for failing to protect yourself from the sun’s dangerous rays this year.
Are there other things you only buy in May? Tweet us @BritandCo!
(Featured photo via Getty)