9 Standout Trends from Bridal Fashion Week and How to Get Them for Less
Your head might still be in a tizzy from a month full of Insta-worthy street style trends, hot new DDG duds and new-season collections you can buy right now — yes, we’re referring to the frenzy that is Fashion Month (New York, London, Milan and Paris Fashion Weeks) — but brace yourselves, ladies, because Bridal Fashion Week follows in its footsteps. And with it comes clouds of airy organza, refined long-sleeved gowns and awe-inspiring headpieces (we see you, Romona Keveza) — it’s enough to make any bride-to-be (or any fashion enthusiast, for that matter) swoon. This year, mixed in with the traditional details that we’re used to seeing each season, were a few unexpected additions. From OTK boots to modern metallic wedding dresses, these nine fall bridal trends are guaranteed to turn up the heat on your “I do” ensemble.
Bohemian babes, this one’s for you. Billowy sleeves, as shown on Rita Vinieris’s runway, are the key to giving hopelessly romantic gowns a free-spirited edge. Opt for a high neckline and lace appliqués to achieve old-world elegance, or test drive an off-the-shoulder style for a touch of ‘70s cool.
1. Yoana Baraschi Brynn Dress ($220): This whimsical lace number is what matrimonial dreams are made of. Rock it with a bohemian headpiece and shimmery pumps for your rehearsal dinner or a blusher veil and modern Mary Janes for a city hall ceremony. Want to switch up your look as the evening progresses? Invest in a floaty organza skirt for a two-in-one look that will take you from your “I dos” to the after party in flawless fashion. Layer it over this bell-sleeved beauty for the ceremony, then whip it off for the reception to show off those gorgeous gams and a pair of ultra glam shoes.
Classic pumps? Nah. Naeem Khan ushered in a whole new era of bridal footwear, teaming a playful knee-length dress with wow-worthy OTK boots. Disguise ‘em under a traditional gown for the ceremony, then turn heads all night long when you debut them with a mini dress for the reception.
2. Zara High Heel Leather Ankle Boots With Metallic Toe ($119): The Louboutin numbers that graced the Naeem Khan catwalk were a lot of look — and probably not the most practical option for your “I dos.” That said, we’re totally diggin’ the idea of bridal booties. These metallic-toe stunners from Zara would put a modern cool-girl twist on any gown — and they’re dance-floor ready to boot. What’s not to love?
Bow down. The cape trend that dominated the runways at Berta (seen above), Monique Lhuillier and Romona Keveza effortlessly lent a regal feel to even the most understated dresses. Skip the veil for the ceremony and make jaws drop with one of these show-stoppers instead. When you’re ready to go all-out on the dance floor, simply toss it to the side.
3. Kavita Bhartia Sonora Capelet ($170): Making a grand entrance? This glamazon cape is so down. Toss it on for the ceremony to give a strapless gown a going-to-the-chapel vibe (Grandma will approve), or switch up your look for the reception by styling it over a short A-line frock.
Lazy girls, unite! Houghton took bridal cover ups to the next level, layering cozy knits over classic A-line and sheath gowns. Fall wedding in the works? Why not test drive this snuggly style instead of a jazzy capelet or wrap. The best part? You can totally wear it again.
4. Line & Dot Balloon-Sleeve Pullover ($98): After the party is the after-party, and you’ll be so ready for a bonfire under the stars with this snuggly sweater on standby. Toss it on over a flirty white dress, then proceed to pair with glitter-flecked ankle strap heels and a metallic headband for a standout look.
Botanical details were big this season, but if you’re after something softer, then folklore-like lace is the direction you want to take. Equal parts ladylike and out of the box, it offers a slightly edgier take on more traditional appliqués and embroidery without compromising on class. Case in point: this striking Rime Arodaky gown.
5. Mango Lace Blouse ($50): This dreamy lace blouse will open up a world of stunning styling opportunities. Modern minimalist? Team it with high-waisted trousers, a tailored jacket and statement pumps for an urban loft affair. Identify as more of a bohemian bride? Partner this pretty piece with a tiered maxi skirt, ankle strap heels and a romantic flower crown.
Bring the drama in a totally unexpected way with an over-the-top headpiece that isn’t messing around. If ruffles and voluminous skirts aren’t your thing, opt for one of these OMG-worthy accoutrements a la Crowns by Christy to inject your look with whimsy and fashion-forward flair.
6. ASOS Wedding Floral Hair Garland ($20): You don’t do traditional — so why should your bridal style fall in line? Pass on the tried-and-true veil in favor of a show-stopping floral headpiece. The vibrant topper will pop against your wedding dress and will look downright dreamy styled alongside gilded drop earrings and a berry lip.
Forget flapper fringe — the embellishment of the moment has a slightly more ethereal feel. Take style cues from Monique Lhuillier and opt for a feather-trimmed frock for a New Year’s Eve celebration or an unforgettable ballroom bash.
7. Elliatt Happening Dress ($180): Enter the party dress of your dreams. Follow up a classic ball gown with this sassy little something. Trimmed in fabulous feathers and shimmery gemstones, it was practically made for twirling and spinning on the dance floor.
Is there anything more romantic than an off-the-shoulder gown? Reem Acra nailed this forever trend with a lace boned corset that gave way to an enchanting organza skirt. One word: swoon.
8. David’s Bridal Lace Topper With Buttons ($130): You don’t have to invest in a full-on gown to rock a sophisticated off-the-shoulder look. Tuck this lovely lace-trimmed top into a satin fit-and-flare skirt for an OMG-worthy wedding-day edition #OOTD. Style hair into a romantic updo to show off those shoulders, and DO add a pair of sparkling chandelier earrings.
GLITZ AND GLAMOUR
Let’s be real — your wedding day is your time to shine. Perfect for a glamorous estate affair or an al fresco fête under the stars, an evening gown with crystal embellishments or metallic fabric, like this beauties that graced the catwalk at Hayley Paige, is equal parts brilliant and refined. Keep the rest of your accessories on the understated side to allow your gown to take the spotlight.
9. Free People Lillith Dress ($352): Who doesn’t love a little shimmer? Strike the ultimate balance of elegance and It-girl edge with this streamlined sheath trimmed with touches of glitz. Get your glow on with a metallic smokey eye and silvery halo for a wedding day getup worthy of a goddess.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.