Eat Healthy on a Dime With These 11 Quick + Easy Canned Salmon Recipes
For many of us, 2016 was a doozy, but we here at Brit + Co are ready to hit refresh in 2017! Follow our Hit Refresh series through January for new ideas, hacks and skills that will help you achieve (and maintain!) those New Year’s resolutions.
When you think healthy food, you probably imagine organic (AKA *expensive*) eats like Buddha bowls or fresh smoothie recipes. But let’s face it — while these meal ideas are great for your bod, they’re often tough on your wallet. There are lots of little hacks that can help you eat healthy on a dime (like stocking your pantry with clean-eating items under $5). One of our favorites? Canned salmon. Salmon is high in Omega-3s and protein, yet simultaneously low in carbs and calories. And — bonus — the canned version also happens to be SUPER cheap. Here are 11 of our favorite quick-and-easy canned salmon recipes.
1. Salmon Burgers With Avocado Salsa: Ditch the red meat and cheese in lieu of healthy salmon and avocado. These lightened-up burgers can be served sans bun, and they can be lightened up even MORE by subbing in light mayo for the full-fat version. (via Cooktoria)
2. Salmon and Egg Salad: Here’s another recipe that’s chock-full of healthy proteins and fats. This super yummy salad boasts the flavors of eggs, salmon, veggies, Greek yogurt and fresh herbs. Serve it over greens for a healthy and wholesome lunch. (via Little Broken)
3. Salmon Meatballs: Healthy, packed with protein and super flavorful, these salmon meatballs will be your new favorite finger food. Keep them gluten-free by using corn starch in lieu of breadcrumbs. (via The Skinny Pot)
4. Thai Salmon Burger: These burgers aren’t a diet food per se, but they’re full of fresh, nutritious ingredients. A whole wheat bun pulls the entire thing together, but these would also be delicious all on their own. Bonus health points for topping them with probiotic-rich kimchi. (via Half Baked Harvest)
5. Stuffed Bell Peppers: Stuffing peppers with anything is probably going to be yummy and healthy, and this salmon-based recipe is no exception. Your peppers will be popping with the flavors of Cajun spice, salmon, Worcestershire sauce, onions, garlic and basil. (via Amazing Seafood Recipes)
6. Canned Salmon Salad: This fresh and wholesome bed of goodness is packed with flavor and nutrients. As a bonus, it’s made with staples you probably already have on hand, such as tomatoes, avocado, romaine lettuce and, obviously, canned salmon. (via Food Confidence)
7. Kale and Salmon Caesar Salad: This pasta salad creation isn’t the lightest recipe ever, but it’s definitely delicious. In classic Caesar salad fashion, you’ll flavor your greens with hard-boiled eggs, Parmesan cheese and Caesar dressing… but in an original twist, you’ll use kale and bowtie pasta to comprise the majority of the salad. (via Budget Bytes)
8. Healthy Salmon Quinoa Burgers: Here’s another uber-yummy burger creation for you. This one utilizes protein-rich quinoa as the “glue” of the burger (usually, that role is played by bread crumbs). This makes these burgers completely gluten-free — YAY! (via Skinnytaste)
9. Salmon Fried Rice: Fried rice is delish, but it can be pretty darn unhealthy as a takeout option. Go for a healthier (and cheaper!) alternative by making yours at home. The best part? You can use any old leftover rice to make this. It calls for day-old rice — but you can make fresh rice taste similar by putting it into the oven for about 12 minutes. (via Simply Recipes)
10. Salmon Cakes With Chive and Garlic Sauce: This recipe uses mashed potatoes, flour and egg to create a delicious salmon burger. Flavor these babies with chive, parsley and garlic, and you’ve got an elegant meal that’s actually super simple to make. (via Vikalinka)
11. Salmon Roll Sushi Bowl: Forget burrito bowls and Buddha bowls — SUSHI bowls are where it’s at. The concept is the same, but the flavors are decidedly different. This sushi bowl, for example, utilizes avocado, rice, cucumber, lemon and canned salmon to delicious effect. (via Savory Tooth)
For more healthy hacks and meal ideas, follow us on Pinterest!