So you’ve decided that your present career path isn’t working and it’s time to quit your day job and change your direction — congrats! Changing careers can be both exciting and terrifying, but taking this brave step doesn’t have to be stressful. Take a deep breath, pour yourself a glass of your favorite wine and crack open these books. They’re here to help you find your inspiration, passion and everything else you’ll need for your next venture.
1. I Am That Girl by Alexis Jones ($9): Changing your path can seem a bit overwhelming, especially if you don’t know the first step to take. If you’re struggling to find your voice, add this book to your shopping cart ASAP. It will guide you through those crucial first steps to ensure #girlboss status in the future.
2. Eccentric Glamour by Simon Doonan ($18): Owning one’s career is all about attitude, and Simon Doonan has attitude nailed. If you’re dealing with some confidence issues at home and at work, Doonan offers up some hilarious advice about rockin’ your personal style.
3. Leave Your Mark by Aliza Licht ($17): If you’re in need of a mentorship ASAP, this book was made for you. All 19 chapters are full of helpful tips and lessons, including the kind you won’t learn in a classroom.
4. Yes Please by Amy Poehler ($18): As soon as we heard that our girl Amy P. was releasing a memoir, we knew it would be nothing short of amazing. It’s the perfect mix of advice, essays, poems and memoir — Leslie Knope would definitely approve.
5. The Best Advice I Ever Got by Katie Couric ($13): This book is full of helpful stories and lessons on how to be successful. The most important lesson: Learn to live with your failures and keep going!
6. Bossypants by Tina Fey ($6): If Liz Lemon is writing a book, you’d better believe that we will read it and love every word. Fey takes us back to her early jobs and teaches us that when life starts to pile up and get a little hectic, you can allow it to stress you out, or you can laugh it off.
7. Ask for It by Linda Babcock and Sara Laschever ($13): Feeling a little down at your current job? If you’re having problems gaining the confidence to get what you want, this book can guide you through the unfamiliar process. You never know until you ask!
8. #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso ($16): Whether you’re looking to start your own business, switch career paths or just get a quick recharge, Amoruso’s refreshing take on management, attitude and everything in between will definitely help you take advantage of this next exciting step in your life.
9. Lean in for Graduates by Sheryl Sandberg ($14): If you were inspired by Sandberg’s TED Talk, this book will definitely resonate with you. Even if your college graduation was years ago, Sandberg’s advice still works for anyone forging a new career path.
10. Mistakes I Made at Work by Cheryl Strayed ($14): If you’re experiencing self-doubt over your career change, this book offers some refreshing advice through 25 personal essays. And if you’ve ever made a mistake at work and wanted to leave and never come back, some of these essays will truly speak to you.
11. Start Something That Matters by Blake Mycoskie ($8): Want to use your new career or business to help others? Check out what the founder of TOMS has in store for you. You’ll find what worked for his company, learning opportunities and the importance of that first step.
Are there any other reads that we missed? Share your favorites in the comments!