Celebs Are ALL OVER This Surprisingly Sexy ‘70s Look
Celebs aren’t known to shy away from sexier styles, often showing up to events on the red carpet in things like lingerie-inspired dresses or suggestive nude tones. But there’s a new trend popping up that veers more toward the softly sexy: the lace-up. This ‘70s-inspired style has been seen on so many celebrities this summer, and it’s really a genius embellishment thanks to the fact that it can go as sexy or as subtle as you want.
For example, Emily Ratajkowski, who isn’t known to hide her assets, posted a pic to her Insta where she’s loosened up the laces of her blouse to suit her skin-baring style. Meanwhile, an Instagram by Vanessa Hudgens shows that the singer-actress has tightened the laces on her swimsuit to keep it slightly more modest at the beach.
Some have even taken it to their lower halves — Bella Hadid recently showed off her sculpted legs in a lace-up skirt. No matter which way you lace it — up, down, front or back — this is a versatile and flexible style that will last you through the transitional, wacky middle season and on into fall.
1. Misguided Orange Lace Up Skirt ($30): While not totally office appropriate, this bright pencil skirt can be paired with a more covered-up top like a peasant blouse or simple crew neck tee for a date-night look.
2. Indah Printed Lace Up Pant ($110): If you’re going casual, a pair of pants like these will get you from the couch to the corner store and back. They’re a great pair to have on a hot day when wearing denim is too much, and also double as a cover-up for grabbing lunch poolside.
3. Anthropologie Embroidered Lace Up Tank ($50): If you’re looking for something you can wear to the office, this top might be the one for you — it’s trendy, but conservative enough in its neck length to wear under a blazer or with a pair of work pants.
4. H&M Lace Up Tank ($18): This top is for the Coachella babe at heart — it’s perfect with a pair of denim cut offs. But as the season transitions into fall, try it with a faux suede skirt or a pair of wide-leg flares for a more polished look.
5. Free People Modern Kimono Dress ($168): Boho babes, take note. This dress is not only perfect for beach bumming, but it’s also a great around-the-house dress for days when you want to feel halfway dressed.
6. Out from Under Lola Caftan ($59): There are still technically a good handful of weeks left in summer, so it’s not too late to invest in something like this caftan. It’s an added bonus that you can also wear it over jeans come fall, as a tunic.
7. J.O.A. Lace Back Romper ($87): Lace-up can also mean from the back! The unexpected back skin peek is almost MORE sexy than if the laces were in the playsuit’s front.
8. Glamorous Lace Up Top ($75): This striped lace-up top could work as an unexpected pop under a work blazer, or with a more classic pairing of light-washed denim.
9. Lush Lace Up Shorts ($42): Surprise, they’re shorts! These will transition nicely into fall as well, with plum, black or brown tights.
10. Project Social Lace Up Tee Plunge Neck ($39): If you’re more of a basics kind of gal, try this black and white striped long sleeve tee as a new layering go-to piece. It’ll look super mod with a black A-line mini, and laid-back with a pair of black jeans and sneakers.
11. Ecote Textured Lace Up Back Tank ($44): This is one of those shirts that you’ll have at the back of your closet, ready to pull out when you’re not sure what to wear. It’s feminine enough to take out to dinner with your S.O.’s parents, but sexy enough to make your S.O. smile.
Have you tried the lace-up trend? ‘Gram us with #iamcreative!
(Feature photo via Rachel Murray /Getty)
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.