For many of us, 2016 was a doozy, but we here at Brit + Co are ready to hit refresh in 2017! Follow our Hit Refresh series through January for new ideas, hacks and skills that will help you achieve (and maintain!) those New Year’s resolutions.
Chia seeds are a top superfood, packed with healthy goodness. They’re high in protein, antioxidants and flavonoids. And though they’re tiny, they can absorb many times their weight in water, making them a great recipe enhancer. They’re awesome in Paleo baking and a great vegan hack for thickening puddings, smoothies and jam spreads without using eggs. If you’re looking to get more chia in your life right now, scroll on for 18 ways to squeeze some into every meal of your day.
1. Raspberry Chia Jam: This jam has just the right amount of sweetness, thanks to a few spoons of raw honey. Spread it on toast or scones or use it to top your smoothies for a fancy finish. (via Paleo Crumbs)
2. Lemon Chia Seed Protein Pancakes: These flapjacks are wholesome, delicious and easy to whip up. They also freeze very well, so make a double batch and pull a few out any time you need a quick and healthy breakfast. (via Muy Delish)
3. Healthy Pumpkin Bread With Walnuts: This vegan bread is packed with walnuts, chia seeds and beer — yes, beer! It’s delicious with both sweet and savory toppings such as cheese. (via Happy Kitchen Rocks)
4. Pumpkin Seed, Coconut & Apricot Granola: This all-natural granola calls for apricots, coconut and pumpkin seeds, but you can mix in whatever dried fruit and nuts you have on hand and it will be delicious. Be sure to toss in some chia seeds for a little extra protein and good fat that will help you power through your day. (via Adventure, Gather, Eat)
5. Chai Latte Chia Pudding: If you love the delicious flavors of chai spices like cinnamon, ginger and cloves, you will love this chai latte chia pudding. It’s packed with all those plus black tea and almond milk, so it really does taste just like a chai latte. (via Choosing Chia)
6. Mixed Berry Smoothie Bowl: When you need an injection of *healthy* into your day, break out this mixed berry smoothie bowl. A smoothie bowl is an all-in-one breakfast — healthy and satisfying — and it won’t leave you with a rumbling tummy in the middle of your 10 o’clock meeting. (via Supergolden Bakes)
7. Lemon Blueberry Chia Seed Vinaigrette Salad Dressing: Chia seeds not only add Omega-3 power to this dressing, but they thicken it up nicely, so it doesn’t all just run to the bottom of your bowl. Bring a jar into the office and it will make whipping up a quick and healthy lunch both easy and tasty. (via Cupcakes & Kale Chips)
8. Greek Tzatziki Chia Fusilli Pasta Salad: Yes, chia pasta is a thing — and you need some in your life right now. Find it online (or in some Wal-mart super stores) and give your favorite pasta salad recipe a healthy, protein-packed makeover. And then start the delicious journey with this Mediterranean pasta salad. (via Gringalicious)
9. Veggie Chia and Sweet Potato Burgers: This veggie burger recipe makes incredibly delicious patties using all whole food ingredients. The chia seeds are packed with nutrients, plus they help bind the sweet potato so your burger doesn’t crumble in the pan. (via Yuri Elkaim)
10. Chicken Quesadilla With Apricot Jam: Homemade jam is good for so much more than just toast. It’s a great way to flavor up plain wraps and fajitas, making them something extra special. (via The Almond Eater)
11. Chia Crusted Sweet Potato Wedges: If ever there was a healthy French fry, this is it. The recipe calls for chia seeds and chia oil, which coats each individual potato wedge so they bake up extra crisp in the oven. (via The Chia Co.)
12. Butterbean Burger With Sweet Potato Fries: Whether you’ve hopped on the Meatless Mondays bandwagon, or you’re just trying to get some extra veggies into your day, these burgers are the bomb. You can serve them on a bun of your choice, but they’re completely tasty on their own. (The Tofu Diaries)
13. Chia Meatballs With Easy Marinara: These flavorful meatballs are made completely free of eggs or grain. The chia seeds lock in the moisture from the meat, helping the meatballs stay moist and retain their shape without drying out. (via Bare Root Girl)
14. Sweet and Sticky Chicken Drumsticks: This sauce is so delicious it should come with a warning: flavor bomb ahead! The chia seeds crisp up in the oven, so you’ll never miss the crispy skin. (via Teaspoon of Spice)
15. Chia Crusted Salmon With Shaved Fennel and Broccoli Salad: What happens when you pair two superfoods — salmon and chia seeds? You get a super-duper dinner on the plate in less than 30 minutes. Superfoods FTW! (via Nutritionist Meets Chef)
16. Lemon Chia Chicken Zucchini Noodles: If you could just face-plant into a pile of zoodles and live happily ever after, this recipe is for you. The chia seeds turn this marinade into a yum-packed cream sauce that totally stands up to the veggie spirals. (via Melanie Makes)
17. Chia-Chimichurri Steak With Turnip-Chard Pasta: There’s nothing like chimichurri sauce for bringing out the best in grilled cuts of meat. But it’s the chia seeds that are the real star here, fluffing up the chimichurri sauce to make it more substantial. It’s so delicious, you’ll lick the spoon with every bite. (via Inspiralized)
18. Chicken Meatball Fajita Skillet: Loaded with fajita veggies, black beans and tender chicken meatballs, this one-skillet recipe is super healthy. Grated zucchini keeps the meatballs extra moist, while chia seeds act as a binder, holding the balls together without diluting their chipotle-spiced awesomeness. (via Domesticate Me)
If you love power food recipes, follow us on Pinterest for more.