Chilly winter months always seem to bring on the roughest of colds — the sneezy, runny-nose and headache that simply won’t go away. If you’re prone to getting hit with holiday bugs, stop what you’re doing right now and start loading up on your vitamin C. In addition to boosting your immune system against the common cold, vitamin C is also said to help stave off more serious complications. Plus, you can find it in all kinds of delicious foods like Brussels sprouts (what!?), strawberries (whoa!) and, most commonly, citrus. To help you show those sniffles who’s boss, we’ve gathered an army of healthy, comforting and seriously nourishing citrus recipes to protect you against that nasty winter cold. Now grab a cup of tea and read on for our favorites.
1. Citrus Mint Salad With Honey and Lime: Make a big batch of this sweet and tangy salad as soon as you feel those telltale signs of sickness. Drizzle with extra honey and mint to help with an itchy throat. (via Rachel Cooks)
4. Cuban Fish Tacos With Citrus Mango Slaw and Chipotle Lime Crema: This citrus slaw is a sneaky way to pack in important nutrients. It also happens to play perfectly with blackened fish and a spicy cream sauce. (via Half Baked Harvest)
7. Winter Chopped Salad With Roasted Sweet Potato and Blood Orange Vinaigrette: When you’re too under the weather to cook, try customizing this salad with whatever you have in your fridge or pantry. The blood orange vinaigrette will liven up any leftovers. (via How Sweet It is)
8. Greek Lemon Chicken Soup: A bowl of this ultra comforting chicken soup is just what the doctor ordered. It’s so yummy, you’ll want to add it to your regular winter meal rotation. (via A Spicy Perspective)
9. Grapefruit Green Smoothie: This powerhouse smoothie is perfect for boosting your immune system. It’s got all the good stuff — citrus, bananas, spinach, ginger and a splash of almond milk. Have it for breakfast each morning you’re feeling iffy. (via Minimalist Baker)
10. Citrus Chicken Quinoa Salad: Lingering colds won’t stand a chance against this protein-packed recipe. It’s got major staying power, so you can make it through your afternoon without getting too drowsy. (via Sally’s Baking Addiction)
11. Grilled Triple Citrus Salmon: There’s no shortage of vitamin C here — this recipe combines marmalade and the juice of three different citrus fruits for a tangy and sweet marinade. Salmon keeps you loaded up with protein and plenty of omega-3 fatty acids too. (via The Recipe Critic)
12. Cilantro Lime Cucumber Salad: Staying hydrated is key when winter germs have you down, and cucumbers — with their super high water content and all — are perfect for the job. This salad is easy and refreshing. (via The Food Charlatan)
13. Citrus Glazed Carrots and Beets: These roasted root veggies are so pretty, you’ll feel better just looking at them. Mix them with fresh lettuce or a bowl of whole grains to round out a meal. (via Oh So Delicious)
14. Cilantro Lime Grilled Shrimp With Roasted Poblano Sauce: A little heat never hurt in fending off germs. These spicy lime-marinated shrimp skewers will have you feeling better in no time. (via Creme de la Crumb)
15. Jicama, Mango and Citrus Salad With Jalapeno Lime Vinaigrette: This crunchy, raw salad is both nourishing and versatile. Enjoy it on its own as a pick-me-up snack, inside a lettuce wrap as lunch or on top of your morning oatmeal. (via Sobremesa)
16. Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad With Almonds, Bacon and Citrus Vinaigrette: Since Brussels sprouts are also high in vitamin C, this side dish is basically a one-two punch for those pesky germs. Plus, it’s hard not to get on board with anything that’s topped with bacon. (via Alaska from Scratch)
17. Lemon Ricotta Parmesan Pasta With Spinach and Grilled Chicken: When you’re cooped up in bed, dishes that strike a balance between healthy and comforting are your best bet. This one does just that, with plenty of lemon, leafy greens and tender chicken breast atop a bed of cheesy pasta. (via Cooking Classy)
Did you just beat a holiday bug? Tweet us your favorite cold cure-alls @BritandCo!