Starting off the morning with a hot cup of coffee is a *must* for a lot of us. But have you ever tried adding coffee to your breakfast smoothie recipes? Trust us — combining the delicious flavors of a fresh smoothie or acai bowl with the energy boost of a cup of coffee is going to be your new fave way to start the day. (Hint: You can also get this double-whammy with coffee cake recipes.) Whether you’re trying to get a hit of protein or just want some mocha in your smoothie, there are plenty of ways to do it. Check out 15 of our favorite acai bowls, smoothies and shakes that make good use of your java.
1. Mocha Banana Superfood Smoothie Bowl: Talk about a healthy breakfast! You wouldn’t know it by looking at it, but this uber-yummy smoothie bowl even contains spinach. Pro tip: Add a scoop of chocolate or mocha-flavored protein powder for an even bigger boost of energy. (via A Healthy Life for Me)
2. Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Coffee Smoothie: Chocolate. Peanut Butter. Banana. Coffee. The combination is a classic, and this smoothie combines a tasty quartet of flavors to spectacular effect. And, bonus, there’s some almond milk hidden in there as well. (via Blender Happy)
3. Healthy Coffee Banana Smoothie: This super-healthy smoothie gives you a big boost of Omega-3s (from flax seeds), potassium (from banana), protein (from Greek yogurt) AND caffeine (from the coffee, obvi). Make sure to combine all of the ingredients in a blender that’s strong enough to crush ice. (via Cookin’ Canuck)
4. Oatmeal Cookie Superfood Smoothie Bowl: This insanely gorgeous bowl will fill you right up with oats and hemp hearts. We recommend adding some chilled coffee to this recipe to give it a little extra kick. Just be careful to use equal parts almond milk and coffee so the mixture doesn’t get too watery. (via Daily Appetite)
5. Salted Caramel Mocha Protein Shake: If you’re a lover of Starbucks seasonal drinks, you will probably go nuts for this Salted Caramel Mocha copycat. Oh, but instead of buying a drink that’s expensive and, let’s face it, loaded with sugar, you’ll get to use YOUR OWN ingredients and enjoy a low-sugar, high-protein treat. Talk about a win-win. (via The Seasoned Mom)
6. Chocolate Coffee Protein Chia Breakfast Bowls: Chia seeds are packed with Omega-3s, as well as protein and antioxidants. That makes this chia breakfast creation an INCREDIBLY healthful meal. And that jelly-like substance spread on top? That’s homemade raspberry-blueberry jam. (via PaleOMG)
7. Iced Coffee Vanilla Protein Smoothie: The chocoholics have been getting a lot to drool over thus far, but if vanilla is more your fave flavor, feast your eyes on this super-yummy coffee smoothie. Pro tip: Keep this completely vegan by springing for a plant-based coconut whipped cream. (via Fit Foodie Mama)
8. Chocolate Espresso Protein Smoothie: Don’t let the name mislead you — you don’t actually need an espresso machine to make this bad boy. In a pinch, instant coffee will work just fine. (via The Lemon Bowl)
9. Mocha Frappuccino Smoothie Bowl: In addition to the ingredients inside this smoothie creation, you can add all manner of fun and creative treats on top. Health nuts: Try coconut flakes, cacao nibs, chopped walnuts, bananas, chia seeds or dates. Those who are less concerned about the sugar content of their smoothie can opt for sprinkles, chocolate chips or sweet granola. (via The Blissful Balance)
10. Peppermint Chocolate Coffee Smoothie: Chocolate-flavored almond milk and peppermint extract make for a delightful combination. The proof is in these AMAZING smoothies — they’re basically Thin Mints in a glass. (via Blender Happy)
11. Healthy Salted Caramel Mocha Smoothie: Here’s another recreation of the famous salted caramel mocha. This one uses coffee, cocoa powder, almond milk, banana, dates and vanilla extract to DELICIOUS effect. (via With Salt and Wit)
13. Breakfast Coffee Banana Smoothie: Start your morning off right with this sweet and flavorful smoothie. Bonus tip: Make this into an indulgent dessert by subbing in vanilla ice cream for Greek yogurt. (via Homemade Hooplah)
14. Mocha Protein Smoothie Bowl: Just LOOK at all that goodness. Top your smoothie bowl with almonds, banana slices, cacao chips, granola and chia seeds for a filling, protein-packed breakfast that will give you tons of energy to start your day. (via Ambitious Kitchen)
15. Wake Me Up Coffee Smoothie: One of the simplest recipes on our list, this smoothie gives you all of the basics and tons of flavor. It’s made with just four ingredients: bananas, coffee, milk and rolled oats. (via Live Eat Learn)
Follow us on Pinterest for more inspirational and healthy breakfast ideas!