15 Colored Denim Statement Pieces to Snag This Fall
If there’s one style decade we can’t get enough of, it’s undoubtedly the ‘90s. Cue the grunge-inspired slip dresses, cozy flannel button-downs, Doc Martens and leather moto jackets galore. But don’t stop there! Colored denim is this close to being on your radar in a major way. When the same ol’ boyfriend jeans, cropped flares and distressed mom jeans grow stale, all you have to do is reach for a pink acid-washed skirt or a mustard-colored pinafore dress to channel those autumnal vibes. Throw in a nubby knit sweater and suede ankle booties — or add some swag in the form of a few well-loved buttons, pins and patches — for a back-to-school capsule wardrobe that slays. Don’t delay: We’ve uncovered 15 colorful denim statement pieces to add to all of your fall outfit formulas. Count us in, please.
2. ASOS Denim Original High Waisted Skirt in Coral Red ($40): Did someone say cool girl? This non-fussy, high-waisted denim skirt is for gals who like to play by their own sartorial rules. Ditch the boardroom slacks and stuffy collared shirts for this throwback favorite that comes in a statement-making shade of coral red. Style it alongside a lazy girl-approved hoodie and retired Adidas tennies for an athleisure look that can be worn beyond the gym.
3. 3×1 WM3 Crop Fringe Jeans ($285): This just in: Mulberry is officially our new color crush. When patchwork and embroidered jeans start feeling meh, try this cropped pair in a deep berry hue on for size. The slouchy fit and fringed cuffs are giving us ALL the ‘70s feels — don’t be surprised if we whip out a felt fedora and suede choker bolo necklace come the first sign of fall.
4. Madewell 9” High-Rise Skinny Jeans Garment-Dyed Edition ($128): Traditional blue jeans, you have company. Who knew burnished cedar could have this much wear-everywhere potential? Between heading to class, taking a field trip to the pumpkin patch and cozying up around the bonfire, these garment-dyed skinny jeans are as versatile as it gets. For a free-spirited look, just toss on a chambray shirt and let them work their magic.
5. Pilcro Denim Chroma Skirt ($78): Usher in the school-girl charm with this red-orange denim button-front skirt that makes us want to go and jump in a pile of leaves (‘cause fall). It’s the perfect transitional piece for chilly mornings and balmy afternoons when dressing in layers is in order. For a daytime casual look, simply toss on a lightweight sweater and infinity scarf.
6. Topshop Moto Red Denim Coated Skirt ($60): We’re pretty sure it’s impossible to blend in with the crowd when you’re strutting your stuff in a red mini skirt with this much around-the-clock appeal. If fierce is your middle name (read: It is), then you best be pairing this wardrobe workhorse with a varsity jacket and cool kicks for an edgy after hours-approved look.
7. Nasty Gal Rashida Denim Midi Dress ($98): Calling all tomboys! We’ve uncovered a denim midi dress that won’t cramp your style or make you feel like you’re trying too hard. Way less mainstream than the season’s coveted pinafore dress, this olive-colored front-snap number can be layered over a t-shirt or a turtleneck sweater for an #OOTD that doesn’t mess around. Combat boots are obligatory for this ‘90s babe.
can’t even think about actually putting on real clothes, opt for these sleek and chic blush dungarees that can double for a fun date night function, a pick-up game of football or a trip to the apple orchard with your best buds. Pair it with an off-the-shoulder top now before transitioning it into fall with a ribbed sweater and blinged-out loafers.
9. BDG Monochrome Girlfriend Trucker Jacket ($89): A weekend road trip or glamping getaway in the mountains with your girls? Say no more. Proceed to add this colorful denim trucker jacket to your arsenal of everyday essentials for a look that won’t go unnoticed in a sea of rich burgundy, mustard and burnt orange hues. Test drive a denim-on-denim look by teaming this cropped topper with a ribbed tee, light-wash distressed jeans and Chuck Taylors.
10. Topshop Moto High-Waisted Skirt ($55): It’s all about that tough-girl edge this season. Fake it ‘til you make it with this throwback acid-wash pink denim skirt that calls for a daring pixie cut. Dial up the drama with a lace-up bodysuit and chunky platforms or pare it down with a metallic bomber jacket and free-wheelin’ slides.
11. Forever 21 Button-Front Denim Jacket ($30): Slay, girl, slay! Where there’s a pair of luxe leather pants, surely an off-duty olive-colored denim jacket isn’t too far behind. For a traffic-stopping look, throw this RiRi-inspired topper on with anything from a neck-plunging jumpsuit to a mock-neck crop top and streamlined joggers. A bejeweled ear crawler and mirrored sunnies are non-negotiable as you show everyone who’s boss.
12. Waven Eira Denim Dress ($94): Minimalist enthusiasts, unite! THIS is the burnt orange denim dress you should wear for spontaneous PSL runs, fall tailgates and the weekend farmers’ market. The throw-on-and-go style will keep the outfit blahs at bay as you embrace the normcore trend once and for all.
13. Zara Mom-Fit Trousers ($40): Get ready to fall head over heels for these mom-fit burgundy trousers that fit like a dream. (Seriously, you may never want to wear skinny jeans again!) The relaxed style will inspire you to adopt a laid-back ‘tude and channel a sophisticated French-girl look this fall. Think: silk blouses, lace-up ballerinas and effortless cashmere sweaters that require minimal effort. Major #swoon.
14. BDG Striped Denim Trucker Jacket ($79): It’s time to ditch your squeaky-clean girl-next-door image for a more alternative look this fall. This vintage-inspired striped denim jacket is the secret weapon in disguise you didn’t know you needed but now can’t imagine living without. Toss it on with a band tee, denim cutoffs and a trucker hat for a rock concert or a GNO with your squad. Pro tip: Size up for a more borrowed-from-the-boys fit.
15. Free People Snap-Tab Skinny Jeans ($78): With pink already being projected as the power color for fall, it would behoove you to invest in a pair of these salmon-hued skinny jeans. Not overly girly in the least, they’ll give you an excuse to break out your shaggy cardigans and fringed ankle booties for a post-festival season look.