15 Colored Denim Statement Pieces to Snag This Fall
If there’s one style decade we can’t get enough of, it’s undoubtedly the ‘90s. Cue the grunge-inspired slip dresses, cozy flannel button-downs, Doc Martens and leather moto jackets galore. But don’t stop there! Colored denim is this close to being on your radar in a major way. When the same ol’ boyfriend jeans, cropped flares and distressed mom jeans grow stale, all you have to do is reach for a pink acid-washed skirt or a mustard-colored pinafore dress to channel those autumnal vibes. Throw in a nubby knit sweater and suede ankle booties — or add some swag in the form of a few well-loved buttons, pins and patches — for a back-to-school capsule wardrobe that slays. Don’t delay: We’ve uncovered 15 colorful denim statement pieces to add to all of your fall outfit formulas. Count us in, please.
1. BDG Girlfriend Monochrome High-Rise Jean in Pink ($69): Do we spy Glossier pink? Modern boss ladies will gravitate toward these high-rise girlfriend jeans that can stand on their own. Give your fall wardrobe the reboot it deserves by styling these candy pink stunners alongside a graphic print tee, utilitarian parka and white tennies for a look that’s anything but corporate.
2. ASOS Denim Original High Waisted Skirt in Coral Red ($40): Did someone say cool girl? This non-fussy, high-waisted denim skirt is for gals who like to play by their own sartorial rules. Ditch the boardroom slacks and stuffy collared shirts for this throwback favorite that comes in a statement-making shade of coral red. Style it alongside a lazy girl-approved hoodie and retired Adidas tennies for an athleisure look that can be worn beyond the gym.
3. 3×1 WM3 Crop Fringe Jeans ($285): This just in: Mulberry is officially our new color crush. When patchwork and embroidered jeans start feeling meh, try this cropped pair in a deep berry hue on for size. The slouchy fit and fringed cuffs are giving us ALL the ‘70s feels — don’t be surprised if we whip out a felt fedora and suede choker bolo necklace come the first sign of fall.
4. Madewell 9” High-Rise Skinny Jeans Garment-Dyed Edition ($128): Traditional blue jeans, you have company. Who knew burnished cedar could have this much wear-everywhere potential? Between heading to class, taking a field trip to the pumpkin patch and cozying up around the bonfire, these garment-dyed skinny jeans are as versatile as it gets. For a free-spirited look, just toss on a chambray shirt and let them work their magic.
5. Pilcro Denim Chroma Skirt ($78): Usher in the school-girl charm with this red-orange denim button-front skirt that makes us want to go and jump in a pile of leaves (‘cause fall). It’s the perfect transitional piece for chilly mornings and balmy afternoons when dressing in layers is in order. For a daytime casual look, simply toss on a lightweight sweater and infinity scarf.
6. Topshop Moto Red Denim Coated Skirt ($60): We’re pretty sure it’s impossible to blend in with the crowd when you’re strutting your stuff in a red mini skirt with this much around-the-clock appeal. If fierce is your middle name (read: It is), then you best be pairing this wardrobe workhorse with a varsity jacket and cool kicks for an edgy after hours-approved look.
7. Nasty Gal Rashida Denim Midi Dress ($98): Calling all tomboys! We’ve uncovered a denim midi dress that won’t cramp your style or make you feel like you’re trying too hard. Way less mainstream than the season’s coveted pinafore dress, this olive-colored front-snap number can be layered over a t-shirt or a turtleneck sweater for an #OOTD that doesn’t mess around. Combat boots are obligatory for this ‘90s babe.
8. Liquor & Poker Skinny Fit Cropped Dungarees ($57): For those mornings when you can’t even think about actually putting on real clothes, opt for these sleek and chic blush dungarees that can double for a fun date night function, a pick-up game of football or a trip to the apple orchard with your best buds. Pair it with an off-the-shoulder top now before transitioning it into fall with a ribbed sweater and blinged-out loafers.
9. BDG Monochrome Girlfriend Trucker Jacket ($89): A weekend road trip or glamping getaway in the mountains with your girls? Say no more. Proceed to add this colorful denim trucker jacket to your arsenal of everyday essentials for a look that won’t go unnoticed in a sea of rich burgundy, mustard and burnt orange hues. Test drive a denim-on-denim look by teaming this cropped topper with a ribbed tee, light-wash distressed jeans and Chuck Taylors.
10. Topshop Moto High-Waisted Skirt ($55): It’s all about that tough-girl edge this season. Fake it ‘til you make it with this throwback acid-wash pink denim skirt that calls for a daring pixie cut. Dial up the drama with a lace-up bodysuit and chunky platforms or pare it down with a metallic bomber jacket and free-wheelin’ slides.
11. Forever 21 Button-Front Denim Jacket ($30): Slay, girl, slay! Where there’s a pair of luxe leather pants, surely an off-duty olive-colored denim jacket isn’t too far behind. For a traffic-stopping look, throw this RiRi-inspired topper on with anything from a neck-plunging jumpsuit to a mock-neck crop top and streamlined joggers. A bejeweled ear crawler and mirrored sunnies are non-negotiable as you show everyone who’s boss.
12. Waven Eira Denim Dress ($94): Minimalist enthusiasts, unite! THIS is the burnt orange denim dress you should wear for spontaneous PSL runs, fall tailgates and the weekend farmers’ market. The throw-on-and-go style will keep the outfit blahs at bay as you embrace the normcore trend once and for all.
13. Zara Mom-Fit Trousers ($40): Get ready to fall head over heels for these mom-fit burgundy trousers that fit like a dream. (Seriously, you may never want to wear skinny jeans again!) The relaxed style will inspire you to adopt a laid-back ‘tude and channel a sophisticated French-girl look this fall. Think: silk blouses, lace-up ballerinas and effortless cashmere sweaters that require minimal effort. Major #swoon.
14. BDG Striped Denim Trucker Jacket ($79): It’s time to ditch your squeaky-clean girl-next-door image for a more alternative look this fall. This vintage-inspired striped denim jacket is the secret weapon in disguise you didn’t know you needed but now can’t imagine living without. Toss it on with a band tee, denim cutoffs and a trucker hat for a rock concert or a GNO with your squad. Pro tip: Size up for a more borrowed-from-the-boys fit.
15. Free People Snap-Tab Skinny Jeans ($78): With pink already being projected as the power color for fall, it would behoove you to invest in a pair of these salmon-hued skinny jeans. Not overly girly in the least, they’ll give you an excuse to break out your shaggy cardigans and fringed ankle booties for a post-festival season look.
Will you invest in colored denim this fall? Follow us on Pinterest for more colorful style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.