Treat Your Tastebuds to a Cuban Getaway With 15 Classic Dishes
In huge news out of our nation’s capital, a whole new era in United States-Cuba relations is being ushered in as we type. While totally unrestricted tourism may still be a little ways off, we can celebrate this momentous occasion in the meantime with 15 classic Cuban recipes. Featuring sweet and savory sips and eats beyond the well-known mojito and creamy flan, your taste buds will be in for one heck of an island-inspired getaway.
1. Cuban Chicken With Chili-Roasted Yams: A quick marinade in mojo sauce — a traditional mix of citrus, garlic and spices — infuses every part of this succulent roasted chicken with incomparable flavor. Feel free to switch things up by applying the blend to pork and more. (via Feasting at Home)
6. Picadillo: No more difficult than cooking up a batch of ground meat, this sofrito-seasoned beef dish is delicious served with a salad or rice and beans. For a non-traditional vegan twist, check out this version made with crumbled tempeh. (via Bon Appet’Eat)
7. Cuban Shrimp Tamales: A mix of fresh corn and corn flour sets Cuban-style tamales apart from their Mexican counterparts. The highly seasoned shrimp filling is a real treat. (via The Washington Post)
11. Ropa Vieja Cubana: It’s hard to resist the meltingly tender shredded beef that results after a long braise in tomato, wine and aromatics. Time to get that Dutch oven out of storage. (via Chocolate and Marrow)
12. Enchilado de Langosta y Camarones: Enjoy this totally rich dish of lobster and shrimp enrobed in a chunky, garlic-tomato sauce. Trust us, it’s not as spicy as its name may lead you to believe. (via Bitchin’ Camero)
13. Cuban Black Beans and Rice: Enjoy this budget-friendly dish as a side or main course. It’s versatile enough to pair with ropa vieja and more, yet hearty enough to hold its own. (via Apples and Sparkle)
14. Cuban Black Bean and Rice Mojo Burgers With Slaw + Garlic Tostones: Packed with an assortment of traditional eats — rice and beans, mojo, fried plantains (tostones) — we might just start calling this burger the new Cuban sandwich. (via Half Baked Harvest)
Share your thoughts about this history-making news plus any favorite Cuban foods below!
Our undergarments might have taken a backseat in 2020, but with a new year upon us, we're feeling inspired to reprioritize our most intimate clothing layer — especially in time for Valentine's Day. Because hey, what better way to kickstart a season of self-love than by treating yourself to a confidence-boosting set of lingerie?
We turned to trusted intimates brand Adore Me to set us straight on trends for the year ahead, featuring size-inclusive bodysuits, romantic bustiers, lacy babydoll styles, and everything in between. Luxe sets start at $24.95 with free shipping and exchanges, and if you're not sure what style would work best for you, Adore Me has an at-home styling service called the Elite Box. You can try everything on from the comfort and safety of your home, keep what you love, and send back the rest totally hassle-free. Need more to pique your interest? Scroll ahead to see the silky lingerie and loungewear pieces we're adding to our cart.
Adore Me Svana Contour Set ($24.95): You can't go wrong with this playful satin cherry print and lace design.
Adore Me Luana Camisole & Short Set ($24.95): It was about time for a PJ upgrade, and this silky set is perfect for sweet dreamin' and lounging around the house.
Adore Me Gynger Unlined Set ($24.95): Va-va-voom! Hands-down the sexiest piece in the collection, this bra boasts a fiery red bow and skin-showing cups — literally confidence in a bra!
Adore Me Evetta Unlined Set ($24.95): This barely-there flouncy lace set is for when you'd almost rather wear nothing at all.
Adore Me Desirae Robe ($24.95): Take your self-care to the next level with this so-soft robe with subtle lace detailing.
Adore Me Clarisse Unlined Bodysuit ($24.95): This floral lace bodysuit with adjustable attached garters is straight out of our lingerie fantasy.
Adore Me Charlize Unlined Set ($24.95): If plum is more your power color, you'll love this sheer lace set.
Adore Me Helene Cheeky Plus (5 for $20): Our underwear drawer needs a little TLC too, and these comfy undies with coverage are the answer.
Adore Me Kaia Contour Plus Set ($24.95): Cutouts are all the rage, so why not have them in your underwear too?
Adore Me Kaia Contour Set ($24.95): Oh, and it comes in fire engine red — yes, please!
Adore Me Clarisse Bodysuit ($24.95): If you weren't sure about bodysuits, let this classic style change your mind.
Adore Me Corina Push Up Bustier ($24.95): Like more volume in the cleavage area? This sexy corset situation is for you.