Come this weekend, the Kentucky Derby will have begun, with celebrities and fans alike flocking to the historic Churchill Downs in Lousiville, Kentucky, to place their (hopefully!) winning bets. For those with an eye for fashion, however, it’s not the horses they’ll be watching: It’s the hats! Donned since the derby’s inception in 1875, the headwear game at the event is as much a part of the annual tradition as are its famous mint juleps. Whether you’re checking out the action live or hosting your very own pony-filled party at home, these styles are sure to make a statement.
1. Carol Bader Design Fantastic Fascinator ($390): This little work of art from Del Mar Hat Co. may be pricey, but at three and a half pounds (that’s heavier than the Queen’s Imperial State Crown!), this is no ordinary headgear: It’s an investment piece.
2. JJ’s House Organza With Feather Floppy Hat ($84): This oversized hat offers a fun spin on the traditional derby headwear with a colorful polka dot print.
3. August Hats Buttercup Dressy Hat ($72): With its neutral gray hue and adjustable interior string, this August Hats creation is a suitable pick for just about any derby-goer.
4. Edith qi Feather Bird Wool Felt Sinamay Hat ($31): Classic and understated, this vintage-inspired, felt pillow box is far from old-school — and comes in two additional colors to boot.
5. ArturoRios Derby Hat With Ombre Leaves ($345): Handmade and made-to-order, this pretty-in-pink masterpiece is unlike any other you’re likely to see on the grounds. Bring a little international flair with ombre vintage leaves from Japan and a vintage silk rose from Germany.
6. Itopfox Striped Sunhat ($13): The crowds will be none the wiser that this striped large-brimmed sun hat cost you less than $15 as you’re stomping the divots in true Pretty Woman fashion.
7. Dora Marra Butterfly Fascinator ($170): Not into the who hat thing? No problem — opt for this handmade satin and feather butterfly headpiece from Dora Marra. A word of caution, however: Choose a seat in the back, as it measures roughly seven to eight inches high!
8. Floppy Sun Big Wide 7-Inch Brim Beach Hat Cap ($38): This bright, wide-brim hat would do Blossom proud and can double as a sun hat long after the races have ended.
9. NYFashion101 Sinamay Fascinator Hat Feather and Flower Hat ($28): A fresh twist on the side-angled fascinator comes in the form of this feather and flower number, which features an inner hair comb to keep it in place.
10. June’s Young Sun Hat Organza ($50): Frame your face in fabulous fashion thanks to this pastel purple chiffon hat that’s complete with a drawstring adjuster for the perfect fit.
11. Graceful Sinamay Polka Dot 7-Inch Brim Dress Hat ($80): You’ll fit right in with the betting crowd in this taupe hat to fool even the most seasoned of onlookers into thinking you’re a derby vet: sinamay fabric? Check. Oversized brim? Double check. Polka dot print? Check, check, check.
12. Cressida British Birds Collection Lemon Yellow Barn Own Fascinator Hat ($250): Choose from one of 20 colors in this extra-large flat hat with a bow detail so unique, it will avert eyes away from the track and onto your steal-worthy style.
Which hat was your fave? Tell us over @BritandCo.
(Photo via DHGate)