How to Wear the Season’s Hottest Trend Without Looking Sloppy
Following last fall’s unexpected lace-up trend and standout statement zippers, distressed fashion is about to explode this spring. But whereas the ’90s fashion trend was all about destroyed denim, the modern take is all about deconstructing classic styles in surprising ways. Here, we’ve uncovered 13 distressed buys to rock like a boss.
2. Nasty Gal Tie In Cut-Out Shirt ($78): Introducing the menswear-inspired button-down with an ultra-femme twist you didn’t know you needed. A few decorative ties — and BAM. All of a sudden, a new shirt is born.
3. Endless Rose Patch Bomber Jacket With Ribbon Sleeves ($140): We’ve seen a LOT of bombers in our day, but none quite this fierce. The satin material and slew of ribbon ties along the sleeves provide for an extra girly touch. You already know frayed-hem jeans, old-school kicks and a bold red lip are in order.
5. Style Mafia Viola Top ($125): Snoozy button-down, it’s time to part ways. Still acceptable for when reporting to the higher-ups (in our opinion, anyway), this man-repelling white blouse calls for backless mules and mega statement earrings.
7. Pixie Market Diagonal Bow Tie Sweatshirt ($109): It was bow at first sight. Even preppy girls can get in their deconstructed fix thanks to this lazy girl-approved pullover featuring diagonal bows. Go edgy with grommet-adorned crop jeans or get ready for a night out with an asymmetric mini skirt. Your move.
8. Topshop Free Spirit Cold Shoulder T-Shirt ($40): Graphic tees with a message are something we can definitely get behind. Wear this ripped t-shirt emblazoned with “free spirits” for an upcoming women’s rights march alongside a leather moto jacket for a rocker-inspired look.
9. STYLEKEEPERS One Shoulder Top ($98): Show up to cocktails in this avant-garde take on the classic button-down.
10. Front Row Shop Beige Cutout Split Knit Long Dress ($76): Throw-on-and-go split knit dress with ripped details, where have you been all of our lives? It’s NOT too late to rock that whole dress over pants trend that had editors everywhere in a frenzy.
12. MNML Evander Deconstructed Joggers ($45): Killin’ it on the streets like it’s no one’s business is right. These deconstructed drop-crotch joggers featuring exposed seams and multiple pockets up and down the leg are alternative in their own right. Team them alongside a plain white tee, a leather jacket and towering platforms for a stint downtown.
13. Stylenanda Deconstructed Varsity Sweatshirt With Lace Up ($98): Oh this old thing? Get with the times by scooping up this deconstructed varsity sweatshirt that’s guaranteed to be a hit on the streets. Make ’em stop and stare, we say!