When it comes to our dear dads, they appreciate a homemade Father’s Day gift just as much as we do. The thing is, it’s hard to know what exactly to make for a dapper dad such as yours. The food route is a good one — packed with bacon, chocolate and whiskey-infused everything. But this year, why not make him something that lasts beyond June? Here are a dozen ideas from the Brit + Co. archive that just might fit the bill.
1. DIY Portable Cornhole Set: What dad doesn’t love cornhole? Even if he doesn’t know what it is, we promise he’ll love it the moment he plays. Create a set in his alma mater’s colors for extra kid points.
2. Concrete Vases: See? Vases can totally be manly.
3. Gilded Polar Bear Bookends: These gilded ends would look great in a cabin-themed man cave or den.
4. Wooden Bungee Organizer: Your dad will commend you at using two basic materials so cleverly. In fact, you might even be able to steal these materials from his garage.
5. Leather Tablet Case: Is your dad still trying to fit his tablet in an old Case Logic? Same here! Give him a stylish update by creating a case just for him.
6. Painted Cement Coasters: Top those coasters off with a glass of bourbon and you’ll be the favorite kid for life… or at least until he needs another bourbon ;)
7. DIY Dartboard: Make a safer and more portable dartboard.
8. Coffee Can Wine Rack: If your dad’s been collecting paint cans and coffee cans over the years with big “plans” to do something with them, he probably won’t mind if you steal just a few to make a wine rack. Especially if you include a bottle or two of wine when you give it to him.
9. LED Planter: Though we made this for graduation, we think it would make a great Dad’s Day gift.
10. Wine Bottle Tumblers: We will never get over this hack! You can turn wine bottles into glassware in a matter of minutes.
11. Concrete Pendant Lamp: Do I smell a concrete theme? Yes!
12. Floppy Disk Planters: Finally, play to his nerdy sensibilities with a pair of floppy disk planters. And be sure to head to last year’s 40 DIY Gifts for Father’s Day if you’re still in search of the perfect gift to DIY for D-A-D.
What are you getting your dad this year? What’s the best gift you’ve ever given him? Talk to us in the comments below.