7 Double Duty Products to Help You Hack Your Beauty Routine
If you’re like us, you love to get a little more bang for your buck when you’re shopping, and nothing sets off our savvy shopper alarms more than items that have more than one application. A stylish couch that folds out into a bed? We love it. A clutch that also charges our phone? Yes, please (wait, can someone invent that?). When it comes to our beauty buys, however, a product that can pull double duty is key. Beauty products that can serve more than one purpose are a godsend, especially for all us fans of lazy-girl beauty. Why crowd your bathroom cabinet when you can simplify your life with just a handful of goodies that help you hack your way to a shorter a.m. routine? Not to mention the added bonus of saving a few extra dollars each time you shop. Scroll below for a list of items that should be part of your time- and money-saving regimen.
1. Hair Conditioner:Aside from adding some much-needed moisture back into those precious locks, conditioner can also be used in place of shaving cream. Apply over your legs before your next shave for super soft skin. Derms also recommend using conditioner when shaving your bikini and underarm area because it prevents ingrown hairs, bumps and discoloration. Who knew? Save big and reach for a 28 oz bottle of TRESemme Expert Selection Renewal Hair & Scalp Conditioner ($4).
2. Cocoa Butter:This all-natural product pulls so much more than double duty. You can use cocoa butter as a lip, face and body moisturizer. It’s also known to reduce the appearance of cellulite and heal sunburned skin. Though most people know how helpful cocoa butter can be for obtaining supple skin, did you know it’s also a great product for your hair? Apply liquified cocoa butter (just pop it in the microwave for a few seconds to loosen it up) to your tresses as a pre-shampoo conditioning treatment (let sit for 20-25 mins). You can even fight frizz by using cocoa butter as a pomade. The best part? You can find a stick of Queen Helene’s Pure Cocoa Butter for as low as $4 at your local drugstore or health food store.
3. Liquid Castile Soap: This soap is free of harsh chemicals, as it’s made from oils with a vegetable base, as opposed to synthetic soaps. Castile soap has over a dozen uses, ranging from home care to pet care to personal hygiene. For beauty purposes, you can doctor up your own DIY body wash when you mix it with vitamin E oil and coconut milk (this stuff is even gentle enough to use on babies when you mix it with a bit of water). Or mix castile soap with baking soda and coconut oil for a toothpaste alternative. Clean out your bathroom cabinet and replace a handful of your hygiene products with a bottle of Dr. Bronner’s Hemp Peppermint Pure Castile Soap ($5 for a 4 oz. bottle).
4. Bar soap:Tame unruly brows with the unlikeliest of products — bar soap. Wet an eyebrow brush and thoroughly rub it into a bar of soap, then brush through each brow until you’ve achieved your desired look. Blot the excess soap with a tissue and let them air dry. Finish with your usual brow paint, pencil or powder — the soap will hold your brows in place for the rest of the day! It doesn’t get easier than that. Keep it simple with one of our favorite drug store buys: an eight-pack of Dove White Beauty Bars ($10).
5. Essential Oils:Don’t reach for that perfume just yet! Grab an essential oil instead. These concentrated, all-natural oils hold a scent for much longer than an alcohol-laden perfume does. We recommend diluting bergamot essential oil with coconut oil for a longer lasting, fresh scent. You’ll smell like sunshine all day long. When you want to really get the most out of your essential oils, remember that they’re also a great remedy for thinning hair. Ginger root oil helps to increase circulation around hair follicles to promote hair growth and ward off dandruff. Get double the bang for your buck with a 2-pack of Bergamot from Eden’s Garden ($12).
6. Eyeshadow Primer: Because the sensitive skin around the eyes creases more than other areas, eyeshadow primer tends to be a little more heavy-duty than face primer. For this reason, you should use it on your smile lines to keep your makeup from creasing when you just can’t help but grin. Try Urban Decay Original Eyeshadow Primer Potion ($20) for a hero product that will stay put throughout the day.
7. Clear Lipgloss:Summertime is the season of bronzy glows and sunkissed cheekbones, courtesy of high-end highlighters and bronzers. If you want to achieve a subtle dewy highlight, reach no further than your everyday go-to clear lipgloss. Take a clear, non-sticky gloss and swipe it over the cheekbones, then pat it with your fingers and set with powder for a clever beauty hack that will keep you glowing all day long. Our favorite option is this NYX Cosmetics Mega Shine Lipgloss ($5).
What are your favorite beauty hacks? Follow us on Pinterest!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.