Drop those puffer coats and parkas! Don’t get us wrong, we don’t know where we’d be without these cold weather staples, but to be perfectly honest, they probably won’t help us land a fashion icon nomination anytime soon. And even though they get the job done, if you’ve got a job interview lined up or a party to attend, dressed-up duds call for something a little more, well, dressed up. We’re talking classic, long-line coats, embroidered and embellished wool, faux-fur trimmed toppers and capes that are sure to make an impression — a good one — even before you walk through the door.
1. French Connection Morano Jewel Embellished Coat ($230): Beaded embellishments and bold black and white stitching give this ladylike coat a modern edge. Slip it over a leather LBD for major impact.
2. ASOS Coat with Cocoon Fit in Texture ($180): We love the vintage-inspired look of this oversized cocoon coat. The key to a killer look with this boxy coat? Balance it out with slim-cut pieces. Pair it up with a classic A-line dress, statement necklace and a great pair of heels, or slim-cut trousers, pointed-toe booties and a graphic floral top.
3. Mango Flecked Wool Blend Coat ($130): You can’t go wrong with tweed. With clean lines and a simple silhouette, this wool-blend topper is seriously versatile. It leans classic and feminine when dressed up, but when mixed with boyfriend jeans and a simple tee, you’ve got all the makings for minimalist-chic cool.
4. Boutique Cashmere Blend Blanket Coat ($370): Dressed up doesn’t have to mean drab. Switch out those neutral tones for something with a little more punch. Go for anything from bright blue to powder pink and everything in between (yes, even yellow!).
5. Trina Turk Adelle Two Topper ($468): This jacquard technicolor coat is what dreams are made of. Besides its super flattering shape, it’ll pretty much go with everything in your closet. Don’t even try to tell yourself you won’t wear it again.
6. Ann Taylor Luxe Topper ($225): Faux pony hair gives this simple, feminine coat a luxe touch without the hefty price tag.
7. New Look Faux-Fur Collar Boyfriend Coat ($114): A lush, furry collar (faux, of course!) and on-trend camel color make this ladylike number a wintertime winner. Plus, if you’re looking to turn some heads, this coat just screams, “Dahling, I have arrived.”
8. Zara Zip Buckle Coat ($150): From sassy leather pants to a sophisticated shift dress, almost anything goes with this forest green coat. The cool color feels fresh, while subtle gold hardware and an asymmetric zipper give it an understated, modern look.
9. Reiss Lia Tailored Streamlined Coat ($429): This slim-fit coat will stand the test of time. Throw it over a pleated midi skirt and crop top sweater or sequinned cocktail dress for instant polish.
10. Nasty Gal Glamorous Naima Faux-Fur Coat ($93): Unleash your inner glamazon with an over-the-top faux-fur coat. Rock it while painting the town red or instantly elevate your errand attire by tossing it over your everyday jeans and a pair of lace-ups.
11. Religion Contrast Animal Print Wool Coat ($231): Animal prints are one of those things that never go out of style. They’re more or less neutrals (or at least we’ll keep telling ourselves that) and they’re seasonless, which makes this high-contrast topper a must-have.
12. Zara Geometric Wool Coat ($149): Geometric prints are having a major moment. Even if geometry wasn’t your favorite subject in school, we bet you’ll dig these bold grids and angular patterns.
13. H&M Jacquard-Weave Coat ($129): A vibrant shade of green and lightweight fabric means you’ll be wearing this jacquard-weave coat straight through spring.
14. ASOS Coat In Cocoon Fit With Faux-Fur Collar ($108): Forget orange — pink is basically the new black when it comes to outerwear. We’re obsessed with this playful bubble gum hue. The fancy faux-fur collar is super chic and will keep you feeling cozy, even in the face of icy winter winds.
15. Mango Leather Lapel Biker Coat ($160): If you live in your leather jacket, you’ll love its more sophisticated cousin, the biker coat. Sleek leather trim, epaulettes and an asymmetric zip give it that downtown vibe you can’t get enough of, while long lines and razor-sharp tailoring make it perfect for layering over workwear for a dressier look.
16. ASOS Coat With Belt In Midi Skater Shape ($146): This ’70s-inspired coat hits checks in all the right boxes. It’s the perfect piece for all your long and mid-length bottoms, plus its retro vibe is on point.
17. Zara Cape Coat with Pockets ($150): Whether it’s 30 or 60 degrees, what’s winter without a little layering? The chic, unstructured fit and roomy three-quarter-length sleeves make this sleek cape your cable knit’s new best friend. There’s also plenty of space for a blazer or cropped jacket, so you can keep your look polished without all the bulk.
Which of these dressy coats is your favorite? Tell us in the comments!